3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bed Cap Or Shell - Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:58 AM
BillSchmill
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed Cap Or Shell - Recommendations?

I'm in the market. Do you have one that you like? Got pix?

I'm leaning toward the Leer 100XQ. It ain't cheap though...That'swhy I'm asking you guys for any suggestions that you might have. This will be the first I've ever brought. Any obvious things that I should know when buying?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:37 AM
Night_Runner
Champion
Default RE: Bed Cap Or Shell - Recommendations?

man, ill tell you what. i have posted on this subject way to many times, mostly in the dakota sections, but my opinion can be heard anywhere....if you feel you will need a shell at all over a cap, get the shell or you will regret your decision.

the argument has been made over LEER, ARE, *******, CENTURY, and so on. here is my experience/opinion....

i used to own a century fiberglass tonneau, and my dad has a century fiberglass shell...i used to love it so much...my uncle has a leer shell, there is no comparison in quality between a century and a leer. they arnt even in the same league. its not even fair. with *******, i hear a lot of great things, but from what ihave seen first hand, there were some fitting issues and seems to be quality issues, but it could be how the person that owns the truck takes care of their vehicle....but on the other hand, i know plenty of people who beat on their vehicle and their caps/shells arnt having problems....are is up there in quality with leer. i actually do see more are tops than i do leer tops. i see quite a few more actually. however, i believe (and this is my opinion) that leer finishes off the minor details nicer that are does. imo leer shells/caps flow better with every vehicle i have seen them on than any are....no matter whether its a sheel, a cap (tonneau), or a low profile (flat, thin) tonneau. another thing with leer, if it is a tonneau, the twist handle is smooth when turning. you dont have to hassle and struggle when turning it. with my century turning the handle was a PITA....with the leer, i can turn it with 2 fingers....i have friends with are's and its not as hard as the century, but it sure as hell isnt as easy as the leer.....the interior of leers tonneaus and shells are very nicely finished as well. all corners are finished and painted, the carpet is high quality and laid on nicely....everything works great, whether its sliding windows or the hinges...it opens with ease, as it should....also, they have release levers on the interior in case you lock yourself inside the tonneau or lid.......the window closest to the cab folds back for cleaning, and cleaning your rear cab window.....

like i said, if i was shopping for another one, i wouldnt even consider century or *******...are is quality, but honestly, i believe i have found the best manufacturer on the market, and dont ever plan on looking elsewhere. spend the money, and get the upgrades, it is worth every penny...also, ahve your locks wired into your passenger door locks....that way you can unlock it and lock it with your keyfob that locks/unlocks your cab...this too is an option....get the cab lights....if you do get a tonneau over a shell, get the upgraded hindges....another thing with leer tonneaus, when opening, it lifts the part closest to the cab up and away a smidge just so the edges dont hit anything...get all the options you wont regret it....

let me go into another thing since it goes hand in hand....a bedliner....i have friends with spray ins, my dad has one of those rubber mats....i used to have a rubber mat in my 2nd gen ram....actually i had a plastic liner with a rubber mat on it....in my dakota, i decided to buy a bedrug....it is not carpet, its actually a soft, strong, plastic fiber....it feels soft like carpet, but is strong as an oxe...the bottom is molded to fill the groves in the bed....so when you sit on it, its smooth....there is a part for the inner tailgate, and a part that seals the tailgate to the bed, so you dont drop anything in between the two....ive hauled bloody field dressed deer in the back, bloody turkey....the blood rinses right out...ive got mud in the back, its been filthy...it washes right out with just water....no stains....ive actually hauled some gravel back there, and shoveled it out...no tears...the stuff is very strong and durable...battery acid wont even harm it....when you wet it, it drys quick too...most of the water whisks right off, the rest will dry very quickly. its soft enough to do the dirty on, and tough enough to treat it like dirt....i wont have another truck without the leer/bedrug combination...also, if you get a leer and a bedrug, order the leer interior carpet black, it matches the bedrug perfect...here is a pic, looks so nice, yet its great to know its durable as hell....hope i shined some light on the situation and you consider and listen to what i said....you wont be disappointed....sorry for the long read, any more questions and i would be happy to answer....again, dont skimp yourself, the options are so nice, and so worth the extra cash....you will not regret it. first few pics are very old, last 2 are newest...and yes, there is a rubber seal between the tonneau and rails to prevent water to enter...if your wondering, my leer is a 700 series...you cant read it in the old pics, but it said LEER700...i removed the 700, which now it just reads LEER...good luck, ill follow this thread

Name:  DSC0157000-1.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  129.2 KB
Name:  DSC01595.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  108.8 KB
Name:  DSC01510-2.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  96.2 KB
Name:  DSC00968.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  59.2 KB
Name:  DSC00925.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  60.0 KB

Old 02-26-2008, 07:39 AM
topcop38
Professional

i bought the leer 100r as soon as i got my truck. i got it lined and also bought the bedrug. they match perfectly. i have no complaints with either. i bought the 100r because it was about $500 less than the 100xq. i paid $1200 with the liner and the fold down front window.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:52 AM
VA4MEDS
Veteran

I have a Jason Topper w/medium rise & fold down front window. I need it to keep my motorized wheelchair dry. Fits great and I like it.

Had to send my Jason in for a paint flaw and Truckmasters here in Winter Haven FL let me use a Century topper till mine came back. Century had a nasty fit and leaked in the front. Looked like crap on my truck.

Yeah, ARE are top of the line in my book, but I like the $895.00 I paid for mine.

Speed Safely,
AL

Old 02-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Baddog543
Veteran

I have a Jason cap on my truck and I'm very satisfied with. It is a very good quality cap. I bought it from a co worker for $500 with the bed rug too.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:55 AM
darkrt
Professional

Snug..

Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Brymac76
Professional

I have a leer on my Dakota the 100XL model http://www.leer.com/dodgemodel8.html.

I mainly went with Leer because it was the only reputable dealer in the area... I like the way it looks..i picked the XL model because it has the "suv" look acording to the dealer. It fits well, and flows well with the Dakota's lines.
That being said..ive had some quality issues with it. After only about 6 months i had to have the rear lift gate weather striping replaced. It kinda "shrunk" for lack of a better term and wouldnt stay on the way it was supposed to. The dealer replaced it for no cost but still after 6 months i shouldn't have had to take it back imo. Also on the side where the fixed glass and the pop out glass connect there is a piece of molding...the one on my passenger side started peeling off...would flap in the wind like crazy .
The "rotary" latch on this model really isnt my favorit either. You have to push the button in wich rotates the cam on either side and releases it. Its a small button...and you really have to push on it kinda hard. I have to struggle to just my thumb to push it in..normally have to use my palm to get enough force on it to open.
Other than that i really like it...i got mine carpet lined and that is a really nice feature. Wish i would/could have gotten the hinged cab side window. Never can getthe outsidereally clean .

My brother has an ARE high rise cap on his F-350 and LOVES it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Mac

Old 03-02-2008, 02:08 PM
jk360
Veteran

i have a blue ARE on my 03 quad cab short bed for sale if u want a used one.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:19 PM
RAM0447
Professional

How much are bedrugs? ANd how are the installs? Just go over? I think I am interested in one now...I swear, this forum makes me want something new everyday

Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM
chadrules
Rookie

ORIGINAL: RAM0447

How much are bedrugs? ANd how are the installs? Just go over? I think I am interested in one now...I swear, this forum makes me want something new everyday
ME TOO! I would love a nice cap and a bedrug!

Quick Reply: Bed Cap Or Shell - Recommendations?