3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

05 4door rear locks wont auto

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:14 PM
bsmelser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 4door rear locks wont auto

I have a 05 Ram quad cab and the rear door locks no longer work with the upfront electric switch or react to the keyless. The dealer suggests I purchase a new wiring harnesses for $450..seems a bit of an over kill to me and curious if anyone would have some tips to find the problem.

side note: the front door switch panel broke loose but the wiring is still attached....I will look at that closer to see if any wiring is damaged but the front door locks are still active.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-03-2008, 12:41 PM
bsmelser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 05 4door rear locks wont auto

So after further investigation I have found that multiple wires have broken inside the rubber boots between both left and right side passenger doors. I also have noticed a few other wires that appear to be close to breaking.

If I had to guess, Dodge has used wiring with to ridgid of casing and the open and closing of the doors causes the wires to stress and break.

Possible other simptoms would be

1) Loss of automatic door locks ( primary issue of this posting )
2) Loss of audio in the rear doors
3) Loss of auto windows in rear doors

I have a hard time believing that a 4 year old truck can have wiring with this type of distress and have to believe this is a factory problem as well as other issues such as the driver side control bezel breaking and ball joints requiring replace in 50k , unheard of on a heavy duty vehical.

Any talks of a class action law suit?

Quick Reply: 05 4door rear locks wont auto