3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Off Roading

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 02:57 AM
Dr.Meow
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Roading

Has Anyone gone 4 Wheelin in their new Hemi's?
Or Installed Lockers?

2004 1500 QC 4X4
Hemi with K&N Cold Air Intake
33" Parnelli Jones Dirt Gripz
Torsion Bar Cranked

Old 12-24-2004, 12:13 PM
mill500
Veteran
Default RE: Off Roading

I haven't done alot of offroad on the Ram. I kept my Wrangler when I bought the Ram (I just couldn't bring myself to trade it), which is probably the best vehicle made for offroading. Maybe I just got used to it and what it can do, but my initial reaction is that the stock 4x4 Ram is good for snow and light off road (I wouldn't consider 2wd at all for off road).

I've got a QC and with the weight and length it just kind of feels like a bull in a china shop off road. Again, maybe I just got spoiled by the Jeep, but my opinion is that as much as I like my Ram if you're wanting to do some serious trail stuff the Wrangler is the way to go. Some light to moderate stuff the Ram should be ok. Protective pans and a lift would help as well. Lockers wouldn't hurt, just make sure they don't get you into something that size-wise you can't get back out of. The Ram, especially with the QC is not exactly nimble.

Good luck...let us know how it works.

Old 12-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Beastmaker
Rookie

I've went "Off-roading" with mine. Of course this is my very 1st 4x4. The people I've taken with me always tell me to stop when I reach an area they wouldn't go through - but I don't. I have always made it through those areas. It's been a little rough here and there - but it always makes it through those "rough" areas. Went through one nasty "puddle" that was up to the bottom edges of the doors (thought I went too far this time) but it made it out ok. I do have to say that I absolutely LOVE this truck. I think it's a little demented and likes going Off-roading.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5483/E3AD4BE525DE460DBFFD1C3D2C3EFB3E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-30-2004, 09:48 AM
ce2flaco
Veteran

I wheel my 03 reg cab Hemi every couple of weeks. Ran it stock for quite a while but i wanted to take more aggressive trails so i got the 5.5" super lift and 35" rubber.
I have no complaints with it's off road performance after the lift and tires/wheels.
Here are some pics.

Ram pics

Old 01-04-2005, 10:54 PM
ce2flaco
Veteran

Nobody else gets seriously off road with their Dodge?
You gotta be kidding?
Post up.
[sm=icon_sneaky.gif]

Old 01-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been too buisy at work and on the weekends to go out and bash some trails, but one of these days I'm gunna get out, put this thing in 4L and pull a tree out of the ground

on second thought, might need front locker to do that[8D]

Old 01-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Dr.Meow
Rookie

Just Got back form Wheelin in the Snow and man is the Hemi fun to throw around in the white stuff. Gobs of Hemi power really do help. Plus you don't really wreck anything in snow. Except my front lower plastic spoiler got ripped off. Nothing major though.

Old 01-30-2005, 02:38 AM
ce2flaco
Veteran

Don't feel to bad. I lost that plastic thing right away as well but i lost mine crossing a steep dry wash. I'm actually glad it's gone. it gets in the way and i think it looks better now.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Dr.Meow
Rookie

I'd have to agree! The truck does look better without it. I think it looks meaner. Now I just have to find a nice skidplate to protect the crossmember.

Quick Reply: Off Roading