3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gears and gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:32 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Gears and gas

ORIGINAL: AIR RAM

NO, if you do not have specific experiecne with the Dodge 9.25 rear then you should let an experienced shop do the work for you.
+1

The gears(andAuburn LSD) install is, todate the only mod Ihave not done myself on the truck. I'd have probablytried theLSD, but was much easier to buy it at& have it installed the same time as the gears.
Too many horror stories from even those who have taken it to shops andpaid experienced mechanics who are far better than this shade tree mechanic, and still have had whining gears or even blown up rear ends. Nope, this is one mod better left for someonewho specializes in this kind of thing.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
SLCHemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gears and gas

+2 on the install side....I took my truck to a local shop who is known specifically for work on 4X4's, and who's "gear guy" has been doing them for over 10 years (they are an "old school" type shop who gained popularity with hardcore off-roaders who tackle Moab, etc..here in Utah). They took their time, but did it right and I've not had one ounce of trouble (they did also note that Dodge rear-ends can be a little more difficult). Conversley, I had a good buddy who by all rights is a pretty good "shade tree" mechanic try to tackle the job on his own. Three attempts, a screwed up set of gears, and allot of cursing later he ended up taking his to the same place I took mine....it was that or roll the truck off a cliff according to my buddy Moral of the story to me was that gears are enough of a specialty or an art to getting just right that I'll leave it to the pro's....

Quick Reply: Gears and gas