3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY DualLiner Bedliner Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:24 PM
SmittyRN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY DualLiner Bedliner Installation

I heard a few good comments about DualLiner bedliners, so I thought I'd give it a try. According to the company, it's a simple install, with a removable rubber mat that you can pull out and clean. $350 shipped from TruckSpecialties.com; I probably could have gotten it a bit cheaper had I found a local distributor, but UPS dropped it right at my door.... actually, they dropped it right in my truck for me.

Name:  IMG_0505.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  60.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0506a.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  51.6 KB

Tools needed:
1 #30 Torx screwdriver
1 drill with 1/4" bit
1 teenage son to do most of the work for you (optional)

Installation is as easy as they made it sound. They have a note to us Dodge owners..

Attention: Dodge owners
In the middle of the 2007 model year, Dodge made an unannounced running product change.The in-bed tie downs were changed from a bolt in design to a welded in design. At the same time, they moved the tie down location. The DOF02XX tie down locations will not match the newer trucks, and vice versa.. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Make sure you order the right liner.

First, install the loadguard at the front of the bed; it just slides up against the front.

Name:  IMG_0507.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  65.0 KB

Next, put the sides on; slide the top underneath the bedrail first, then the bottom slides right up against the side of the bed. 4 plastic pinecone connectors hold the sides to the Loadguard.

Name:  IMG_0508.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  60.5 KB

Now unroll the rubber mat into the bed. Notice how you have nubs all along the bottom of the mat to keep it off the bed, allowing any water to run out.

Name:  IMG_0510.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  77.1 KB

Slide the mat in the groves of the side pieces; it works best if you slide one side in first, then pick the other side up and slide it in. The instructions say that after it sits in the sun for a bit, it will settle in place.

Name:  IMG_0511.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  66.7 KB

OK, something they don't tell you about late model Dodge owners; the tailgate piece needs to slide underneath the tailgate spoiler. Remove the 4 Torx screws holding the spoiler on, then pull it off. There is some double sided tape holding the spoiler to the inside of the tailgate, so it takes a little work to pull it off.

Name:  IMG_0524.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  31.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0514.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  44.9 KB

Remove 4 of the Torx screws holding the tailgate panel on; install the tailgate piece using the Torx screws with the included spacers.

Name:  IMG_0516.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  72.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0515.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  64.3 KB

Now drill 4 1/4" holes in the tailgate, using the holes in the tailgate piece as a guide. Pick up the bottom of piece, clean out the metal shavings, and apply the included rust inhibitor to the holes. Apply the inhibitor to the pinecone connectors and push them in.

Name:  IMG_0517.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  61.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0522.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  69.7 KB

Align the spoiler to fit over the tailgate piece, then replace the Torx screws.

Name:  IMG_0523.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  67.2 KB

You're done! The rubber mat is pretty thick, and won't let anything slide around in the back. Looks like it's gonna pick up footprints pretty easy, at least at first.

Name:  IMG_0527.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  60.6 KB

The only problem I found is that the back of the side pieces don't sit flush with the side of the bed. I'm considering a couple of options; either using a couple of spots of black silicon adhesive and clamp them down overnight, or drill a couple of holes and use a couple of the extra pinecone connectors to hold it tight against the bed. Any thoughts, anyone?

Total installation time is around 30 minutes, it would have taken me longer than that to drive to somewhere to get a spray-in installed. I might decide later that I want a spray-in liner; if so, I can pull this one out, sell it, and have one sprayed in.

Name:  IMG_0529.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  53.5 KB

Old 03-03-2008, 05:32 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Default RE: DIY DualLiner Bedliner Installation

very nice job, and looks great, love the below the rail bed liner. mines over the rail and if you look under neasth it, right where it ends at the paint its very very scratched and i hate it, because now you cant take the bedliner out bc if you do you have thise nasty paint scratch along the bed.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:34 PM
HEMIHORN

if I were to go with a bedliner - I would go exactly as you have.....thanks for the pics etc....

I spent around 750 tax incl for the color match linex and it is awesome......

Old 03-03-2008, 07:03 PM
nemesisprogram
Veteran

Anyone know where I can get one of those that fits a 8 foot bed? 05

Old 03-03-2008, 07:09 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

Look's good!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:07 PM
SmittyRN
Professional

ORIGINAL: nemesisprogram

Anyone know where I can get one of those that fits a 8 foot bed? 05
I told you at the top where I got it, pay attention people! CLICK HERE!!!

$390 shipped for an 8' bed.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:21 PM
TANKZ400
All Star

Looks good.

Quick Reply: DIY DualLiner Bedliner Installation