3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i need more hp!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
cddailey
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need more hp!

what is the least expensive way to get more hp without losing mpg? I've got a hemi and installing my cai this week which should get me at about 355 but id like to be around 400

Old 03-04-2008, 07:12 PM
RamItOne
Default RE: i need more hp!

Well seeing its a 2wd truck your gears are prob 3.55 or 3.73, so if you go with lower gears you'll get more hp to the wheels, buy an aftermarket torque converter, throw out the clutch fan and go with an e fan.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:18 PM
cddailey
Veteran

k, thanks

Old 03-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuner---Tuner---Tuner----headers, open the flow up

Old 03-04-2008, 07:53 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This one is asked almost every day. So a search would be in order. But since you asked...

Most HP mods thankfully also get you better fuel economy (as long as you don't like the added power and start hitting the gas harder) as, theorhetically you don't have to give it as much throttle to get the same power.

The "big three" should come first. CAI, Cat-back exhaust & tuner.
Other good power/fuel economy mods would be E-fan & Long Tube Headers.

Big time bolt on Power Mods that won't really get you any better MPG (but won't hurt it, either) would be 4.56 gears,Cam (although some really aggressive cams canbe a realMPG killer)and a more efficient torque converter. These don't really increase HP (except the cam, which depending on the grind can really increase high end HP or low end torque), they just get it to the wheels much more efficiently. Our stock Torque Converters are pretty pathetic compared to just about any other truck brand out there. You'd sh_t if you really knew how much of that advertised 345 HP REALLY makes it to the rear wheels.

On paper, my current assortment of mods have me in the low 400's for engine HP (somewhere right around 410 I think) and I'm not dyno'ing over 300 HP at the real wheels (the only place it counts), yet. When I do the cam and a custom tune I'll be close to 450 and still won't dyno that advertised 345 HP at the rear wheels yet. I won't see any REALpower making it to the dyno sheets until the torque converter is done.