3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High Speed Shake

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: High Speed Shake

One more suggestion, have the tires balanced on the truck. Sounds crazy, but, yes, they do balance tires actually mounted right on the vehicle. This will take the rotating mass of the drivetrain into account while balancing. Downside is, the tires ultimately would have to stay in the same position on the truck---no rotation.

While they are there, they can also check the runout on the hubs too, to see if you might have a slightly bent axle---this one is a stretch, but shouldn't be ruled out.

Oh, and the dealer is full if **** too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have access to driveline shops just like you do, and yes they COULD help you out here, but they don't want to.

If you, or someone you know has a Mag and a dial indicator, you could get a rough runout indication yourself at home. You'll want to elevate the truck--all four wheels off the ground, clean a spot in the center of the shaft and slowly turn the shaft marking the high spot on the driveshafts--front and back drive lines (if 4x4), your runout should be virtually nothing

Old 03-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Az2500Cummins08
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: AZHemiChk

So this problem has started to irritate me more lately. I bought my truck with Goodyear Eagle LS2s on it, and I'm definitely not crazy about the tires, but I can afford anything new right now. It had a high speed shake, so I had my coworker rotate and balance all four tires. Hit the freeway, and it was still shaking. I found the warranty reciept from Discount Tire (ugh, competitors!) so I went over, they balanced the tires, found that each took about an ounce. Hit the freeway again, STILL shaking. Randy (HemiRiden) suggested that it was the driveshaft that needed to be balanced. Called the dealership, they said they not only do NOT balance driveshafts, but that 02-03 half ton rams "drive like 3500's" and will always have this high speed shake.

Is there any truth to this?
Hey there, glad to see another Az in the forum. What dealership did you take it to?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The story of all 02 & 03's driving like that is total bull! I've got a buddy with an '02 1500 RCSB 5.9 4x4, with a FabTech 6" suspension lift and 35" mudder tires no less. Been in it on I95 going 95 MPH and it's perfectly fine.

First of all, if you work at a tire shop, have the tires "road force balanced", much more effective than just a standard balance. Any tire shop worth spit will have a unit such as a Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Measurement Balancer. If it's not in the tires and you've had components such as the ball joints checked, then your problem will be in the driveshaft. If your truck is a 4x2 3rd gen then you have an aluminum driveshaft (unlike4x4's which are steel) and it's very common for them to be out of balance (ie.: bent)...

Old 03-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Scorpio_08_HEMI
Rookie

Road Force balancing is best. If your tires are chopped then that is most likely your whole problem. Took my car allover town and finally realized my tires were chopped. I replaced them and, viola no more shake and no more pulling to the right. Goodyear and Bridgestone for passenger cars are **** ! I paid 850.00 for 17 in. tires and they lasted 1/3 of the advertised life. I kept them balanced and rotated and had the front end aligned religiously. Bridgestone did the same thing. 20 in. Goodyears came on my RAM and Ive got 8100 mi. on em. They seem to be doing pretty good on the treadwear butI have to balance them every 3-5 thousand @ $70.00 a pop. I need some advice on what type of tires to put on my truck (08 QC Hemi Big Horn 4x4). I like a smooth ride with as little road noise as possible. When the factory tires are done Im trying another brand.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Scorpio_08_HEMI

I need some advice on what type of tires to put on my truck (08 QC Hemi Big Horn 4x4). I like a smooth ride with as little road noise as possible. When the factory tires are done Im trying another brand.
Mickey Thompson ATZ's or Toyo Terra Grapplers. Two best for performance and long life in an All-Terrain tire in my opinion...

Old 03-20-2008, 10:28 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i would almost put money on the driveshaft being bent....the aluminum driveshafts are on national back order (damn things keeps getting replaced due to being bent or in my case breaking)

Old 03-21-2008, 01:29 AM
quiksilver03

Hey there.. your problem sounds similar to the one I had up until last week. I had a bad shake at around 55 MPH and up and I thought it was a balance/alignment issue and took it in to get it done, turned out to be a broken steel belt in one of the Wrangler HP's. I had to replace both fronts (one broken steel belt, other one had tread separation). Good Luck!

Q/s

Old 03-21-2008, 02:56 AM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

how fast are you going when this shake happens?
have you tried cleaning the backside of the rims before balance?

Quick Reply: High Speed Shake