3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cranking torsion bars... Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008 | 10:33 PM
nemesisprogram
|
Veteran
Default Cranking torsion bars... Help

I just have a few questions on cranking torsion bars. Some guy on another website said he did his withought even lifting the truck. Said he just used a longer socket rachet. Is that possible? Also as I am getting ready to do this tommarow ... I measured the sides and the drivers side is lower than the passengers side about 1/2 maybe little more than a inch. Also noticed when I checked out the bolts under the truck the drivers side bolt looks more cranked upwards then the passenger side wich was down more ...guessing this is why there is a imbalance on different sides>>?

Thanks

Old 03-09-2008 | 11:01 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Default RE: Cranking torsion bars... Help

I would lift up the front end and put it on jack stands. Why work really hard if you dont have to. Just raise it so the tires are off the ground. Just crank them so both sides are the same. Mine was similar to what your saying. Also get it aligned. I didn't get mine aligned for about a month and didn't see any tire wear but its still a good idea.

Old 03-09-2008 | 11:12 PM
nemesisprogram
|
Veteran

k thanks bro

Old 03-12-2008 | 10:17 PM
nremt1984

you need to level truck while it is sitting on ground with the weight of the truck on it or you will not get an accurate lift it does not take much if you have a larger ratchet 1/2" maybe i have an 03 4x4 qc hemi 1500 i had to crank screws all the way up to get truck level also make sure tire pressure is the same in all 4 tires and close to a full tank of full most suspension measurements are taken with fluids full. i would definetly get and allignment soon after you crank these also factory allignment specs might not be correct depending on the year of you truck i had to take mine to a place that alligned with measurment not a computer i hope this helps also once you crank bars up you can not take them back down they a prone to break hope this helps by the way if you level you can put 33-12.50-17s under your truck no problem you will need to replace the shocks on the front as the stock ones are not long enough for a 2 inch lift i put rancho 5000 series shocks on my truck front and rear the ride is a lot nicer than before new shock rancho part number for front is rs5283 they are slightly longer than stock shocks and rs5274 which are direct replacements for the rears

Old 03-12-2008 | 10:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Industry recommended method is to raise the truckon level ground (cranking the torsion bars with the full weight of the truck can break the bolts, bars and/or keys!!!) Crank each side a couple of turns and then lower the truck, measure each side from the ground to thecenter of tire well (or the top of the tire to center of well if tires have same air). Continue to raise, crank, lower the truck until you get the desired lift and both sides are equal (and yes, it may require more cranks on one side to get the same lift). It takes longer to do it this way, but hell, you only have to do it once. BTW - you can lower it again if the ride is too harsh or to install a suspension lift with little chance of damage if you simply lift the weight off the truck...

Old 03-14-2008 | 09:29 PM
oilfield1978

I HAVE A 07 1500 4X4 MEGA-CAB,WILL THIS PROCEDURE WORK ON IT?

Old 03-14-2008 | 09:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

No, first off, the RAM 1500 4x4 went from torsion bars to coil overs for the '06s. Secondly, I believe the MegaCabs all have solid front suspensions...

Quick Reply: Cranking torsion bars... Help