3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Could this be a timing issue?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:09 PM
mikesf79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could this be a timing issue?????

Hey every one, I would love your input-

I just had an engine rebuild and and the truck has a couple of issues. The first being it has a hard time starting, second, it wont exceed 2500 rpm's (in park and drive). Third, both the cam and crank sensor are not recognized. I would think if the timing was off the truck would run bad, But, it runs great but only under 2500. I have herd a few people say that the truck could run fine a tooth off.

All input appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-10-2008, 08:43 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Could this be a timing issue?????

need some more info....what all did they do in the rebuild (just replace a head or a full rebuild, etc...), what engine, what year...that sort of stuff

Old 03-12-2008, 08:42 PM
mikesf79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess that info would help......I have an 04 ram 1500 with a 4.7. The engine had 72k when it suffered an engine sludge problem.( I changed my oil every 3k on the button) they did a complete rebuild on the engine.I heard from the tech at dodge that the 4.7 is very hard to time.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:54 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well he's deffinitly right about that, i think the 4.7 is one of the hardest engines to get the timing right on...it has multiple items that need to be addressed when putting the timing chain back on and if not done correctly it's very easy to not get it timed correctly....i'd take it back to whoever rebuilt it and tell em it's wrong and they need to fix it

Quick Reply: Could this be a timing issue?????