3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HEMI ENGINES

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:49 PM
citygasdude
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEMI ENGINES

I have been hearing about the Hemi Engines that will run on only 4 cylinders when not under a big load. Do all of them do that? If not what year did that engine come out? What kind of overall mpg do the ones get with that technology. Forgive my lack of knowledge as I currently have a 2nd gen Ram. I was thinking of getting a newer one with a Hemi if they do good on mpg. I get 10-11 city and around 14-15 hwy with my 360 and 4.10 gears

Old 03-13-2008, 01:56 PM
FastFish
Default RE: HEMI ENGINES

It's called MDS (Multi Displacement System) & is only offered on '06 & newer 1500's. Not offered on Mega Cab or 2500's. It was estimated at a 20% fuel savings, but I'm not sure that's true since there's variables with how you drive, hills, load & such. Tons of info on the net about it from people much smarter than me. Now that you know what it's called, you should be able to find out more about it. [sm=type.gif]

I have an '07 Ram 1500 that has it, & I really don't notice when the 4 cylinders shut down. It only happens when you are cruising, but once you accelerate the V8 comes alive instantly for passing or whatever [sm=lildevil.gif]. I live in Colorado though, so there's tons of hills & not much time for coasting unless you're going downhill. But still, if it helps me save $$ on gas, I'm all for it.

I avg 14-15mpg city & 17-19mpg highway & that's with the 75mph speed limit (I typically go 80 or so). If I cruise on backroads I get 20-21 at 60mph. I do have a couple of mods that have improved my mpg from stock though. Hope this helps

Old 03-13-2008, 02:39 PM
citygasdude
Rookie
Default RE: HEMI ENGINES

Thanks, I live in Colorado too so that info really applies should I consider getting the Ram with the MDS, Thanks for the information and thats a nice ride!

Quick Reply: HEMI ENGINES