3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 2500 Ram bad ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:24 AM
todde2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 2500 Ram bad ball joints?

I had an incident a couple of weeks ago when I hit a bump in the interstae at 75 mph and almost lost control of my truck. Seemed like driver side front end was shaking out of control. Figured I had a blown out tire but by the time I slowed down to 40 mph, shaking of truck stopped.When I got home I jacked up front end to see what happened. When I grabbed driver side tire and lifted it pulled it in and out I saw pretty considerable play in the top ball joint. I watched ball joint move as my wife lifted tire. I checked to make sure this item was covered under my extended warranty.
Took truck to local dodge dealer in COS (perkins dodge). I told service advisor exactly what happened and what I belived to be the problem. The first day something came up so they couldnt look at it??? After keeping it overnight his "suspension" tech looked at it and he called me and said everything seemed good. I told him again exactly what I found wrong and explained I would be more than happy to come down and show him if his technician could not see the play in the knuckle. He called me back a couple of hours later and said they see the problem but it is within chrysler specs. He said spec is .09 and it was measuring .05. I went back and forth asking why the driver side has noticable play in knuckle while passenger side has none? He claimed this is normal.
I eventually demanded to talk to the tech. The tech told me they dont check the ball joint play with the truck off the ground. According to him it doesnt matter if the ball joints move in and out a little bit. I quote: "the ball joint will never break and it will not cause tire wear" He also said that all ball joints move in this manner. I am no suspension technicican, but I have never seen a ball joint move like this. He tells me that the problem with my truck is the steering damper. I explained when I almost lost control of my vehicle if felt like the tire was vibrating up and down, not left and right. He said the steering damper will cause this. I also asked him if I checked ball joints on brand new vehicles, would they have this kind of play? He stated yes, but the brand new vehicles dont have 60,000 miles on them and every year they change the axles and other parts???? He also stated that if I change the shocks and steering damper like suggested, it would void my warranty since they didnt change them. Apparently Mopar uses special dampening in their steering damper and shocks which the aftermarket cannot duplicate??

I am really thinking these people are a bunch of idiots? In my experience, if there is any play in the ball joints, then the joint is bad. Does anyone have advice on how to check these for sure? I want to take the vehicle to the other dealer in town, but, I have had problems with both dealers in the past? Am I crazy? I am scared to take the truck on the highway for what might happen!

Sorry for the long post!
Todd

Old 03-15-2008, 09:03 AM
chadmech28
Professional
Default RE: 2003 2500 Ram bad ball joints?

This tech is probally right, I work for chrysler and the spec is 0.90 thou. I know it seems like alot but unless they are clunking they don't have to change them. If it was my truck with 0.50 thou iI would change them. There is even a spec for tie rods too. Now if it come in for a safety I would fail them but that is just my two cents.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:21 AM
tmodlin
Rookie

When you say they wont check the balljoints off the ground what are you refering to? The balljoints on your truck should be checked loaded but obviously with the weight of the vehicle on the tire you arent going to move it much. With the front tires off the ground how much play were you seeing?

Also, the dealer saying you cant put new shocks or steering damper in is BS. Do a google search on the moss-magnuson act. Adding parts that are considered to be an OE equivilant will not void any manufacturers warranty.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:05 AM
chadmech28
Professional

Here is how I check the ball joints, Pick the truck up take a pry bay between the u-joint and the lower ball joint. Pry up and down ths will give you your play, it's vey easy. You are allowed 0.90 of vertial play. Now for laterial grab the top and the bottom of the wheel when truck is in the air move in and out, if there is any laterial play the ball joint must be replaced. Now if you put aftermarket parts in the front end it won't void the warranty, but don't come in and say you have a vibration or a clunk. Because if is after market suspension parts in it they will say put it back to stock before they can go any further.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:16 PM
bltp203
Rookie

My "death wobble" was caused from bad ball joints. Replaced them with greaseable NAPA units and all is well.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:49 PM
bwhaler12

hey im new to this site but neways, i have experienced the same problem with my trcuk as bltp203 and i know i need ball joints.. my problem is that the dodge place tells me i have an AMerican axle and not the solid front axle. all the ball joints for the american front axle at napa are offset and i dont understand why they ony have offset ones and not any"normal" zero offset ball joints. i have asked around but every1 seems to tell me the same thing, they dont know. please help i need some nice greasable ball joints ASAP... thanks
alex

Old 03-31-2008, 12:30 AM
mmstar23
Champion

so clunking in the front and a rough ride sounds like i need new ball joints? i thought it was the fact that i need longer shocks due to my leveling kit and 3" body lift...hmmm. tell me what you guys think

Quick Reply: 2003 2500 Ram bad ball joints?