3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cat converter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:34 PM
minyo16
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cat converter?

does anyone know the New York state cat convert emissions?

Old 03-16-2008, 10:54 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Default RE: cat converter?

dont know about NY, but i cut my cat out on saturday. you'll find a nice gain out of it. when you cut it out..drive around a little with the cat missing, so its straight headers....the sound is amazing. once you put your straight pipe back in....reset the computer....youll get a tiny bit of more sound from it...but you'll notice the throatier sound from it. just looking at the inside of my cat...i was happy i cut it out....even with out sound.....you know it has less restriction....i dont even know how air got through the damn cat. it was almost solid....it was like a white brick, with tiny squares in it. like i said, i dont even know how air got through it.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:07 PM
minyo16
Professional

lol thanks. when you cut it out did your engien light come on? is that why you reset your computer? i was going to put two high flow cats on. do you know how i can find out?

Old 03-16-2008, 11:13 PM
mmstar23
Champion

theres 3 cats. i only cut out the last 1. mainly bc a piece broke off inside and was rattling and sounded like sh*t. and besides i knew theyre would be slight performance gains. theres still 2 more cats right after the manifold which is inbetween the 02 sensors and thats why the engine light goes off.....i didnt have an engine light bc i didnt mess with the first 2 cats. if you put a straight pipe in, i think the engine light will go on, but if you put in high flow cats...i would imagine it should be fine. i had no engine light bc the 3rd cat doesnt deal with 02 sensors. i only reset the computer so it would "relearn how to run with the cat gone and a straight pipe in. you do the same when you put a CAI in. i dont know if it makes a difference, but i did it anyways.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:17 PM
minyo16
Professional

thanks that helps. ill have to try to find out some how. thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: cat converter?