3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

torsion

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Brandangd69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torsion

I have an 02 quad cab 1500, I was wondering how to do the torsion bar crank and if i need any special tools to do it. Also I would like to go up about 2 inches just to level out the front, will this cause any harm to the front end of the truck or is 2 inches to much with out causing premature wear on the front end

Old 03-21-2008, 10:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: torsion

Do a search on here for specifics on how to do it. I, along with a few others have made posts detailing how to specifically do it.
Going up a full two inches to level will, without a doubt, harshen the ride a good bit. Some don't mind it, some don't like it and lower it back down. Only you can be the judge.
You'd think with it stiffening up the front like that, some components may be prone to premature wear or failure, but I've not heard of anyone having any issues that has done it.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:59 AM
dirtydodge02
Banned

Again with my old '02, I had a leveling kit put on it and the ride went downhill a little, but not bad. The worse part was that I didn't change the shocks when I did it and one good pothole later, I had hydraulic fluid all over my front left brake disc. Pulled the shock completely apart, so if you do it, change those out too to accomodate the longer shock travel.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:49 AM
ANTCAP3

I HAVE A 03 1500 AND AS SOON AS I BOUGHT IT, I CRANKED UP THE TORSION BARS TO LEVEL THE FRONT END. I GOT TIRED OF THE RIDE ALMOST 5 YEARS LATER AND RECENTLY I PURCHASED THE TORSION KEYS (TOUGH COUNTRY) FROM A WEBSITE AND INSTALLED THEM. I THINK NOW IT RIDES A LITTLE ROUGHEROVER THE BUMPS, SOUNDS LIKE THE DASH IS GOING TO FALL OUT.I RECENTLY CONTACTED DIRTYDODGE02 AND FOUND OUT WHAT KIND SHOCKS HE PURCHASED FOR REPLACEMENTS. I THINK THE RIDE WILL GET BETTER WITH LONGER SHOCKS BECAUSE WITH THE STOCK SHOCKS THERE IS NO ROOM FOR TRAVEL. I AM JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT NOW WHAT LENGTHI NEED TO PURCHASE.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Brandangd69

well thanks everyone i got out there and cranked them up a bit, but now the passanger side bolt will not turn anymore, while the driver side will still turn easily, i only gained about 3/4 of an inch and the truck still isn't sitting level, i didn't jack the truck up would this be the reason why that one bolt is so hard to turn or is it something else

Old 03-30-2008, 10:30 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The first time I helped someone crank their bolts, we wrestled with trying to crank them with the front tires on the ground. Got about 1" out of it and were sweating like fools. Got the jack out and with like 1/20th the effort, finished up. The second and only other time I helped someone do theirs, the jack and stands came out of the garage first...

Old 03-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Brandangd69

Well jacking it up didn't help, the one bolt will tighten but the other one will not budge. maybe i jacked it up in the wrong spot but it still wants to fight me

Quick Reply: torsion