3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:14 AM
ivaskaj
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift kit

How well does the 5spd auto in the '07 stand up to the firmer shifts with a shift kit? Anyone know if this will void the warranty? Thanks.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:16 AM
coats_ne
Default RE: shift kit

A firmer shift means less slippage of your clutches which means less wear. But on the other hand if you go too firm it will be hard er on your drive line components. As for the warranty, I'd bet money the dealer will say VOID.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 AM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

it will void the warranty....trango makes a real nice one

Old 03-30-2008, 05:11 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

I remember (I think) reading somewhere that these new 5 speed autos will break the secondary second gear or something to that effect when you mess with the shift points. Was that with a shift kit or a programmer, or am I mistaken? Thanks. Also, would I benefit from a new torque converter? I plan on running a 33" tire. If so, what stall speed should I look at?

Old 03-30-2008, 06:31 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ivaskaj

I remember (I think) reading somewhere that these new 5 speed autos will break the secondary second gear or something to that effect when you mess with the shift points. Was that with a shift kit or a programmer, or am I mistaken? Thanks. Also, would I benefit from a new torque converter? I plan on running a 33" tire. If so, what stall speed should I look at?

That most commonly happens with people who have high horsepower engines, 350rwhp seems to be the magic#...it ussually happens when the tranny downshifts into second prime, it also happens with the overdrive from what I understand check out this company http://sharadon.com/they are the company that all the high horsepower guys are going to for new tranny and valvebodies (shift kit)and they are the first and only company I know of doing work with the 5-45 tranny..send them an e-mail great guys to talk to and can explain exactly what causes these tranny to break.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:39 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

Well, I guess I'm good then. I'm stock with only 235 hp, and the only mods I've got is straight pipes and soon to be a CAI. Thanks.

Quick Reply: shift kit