3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie here... I've decided to get the Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 02:59 PM
JoeNashville
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here... I've decided to get the Dodge

for my next truck. I've had a 98 F150 and it's been a great truck. But it's got 170k and after a couple years of thinking and studying on it, I've decided on the Ram 1500. I may go with a used '07 or order a new one. I definitely want the Hemi and the 20 inch wheels. Just an extended cab would probably be okay and I'm pretty sure I want the sun roof and the electronic engine management that switches to 4 cylinders when cruising. I've heard it boosts mileage 20% which would be great.

So you guys tell me what else I should get, things you wished now you had got, or things you thought were the **** at the time, but now not so much.

Anything else about your Dodge experience you think relative or helpful, I want to know!

Thanks! [sm=feedback.gif]

Old 03-28-2008, 03:19 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker
Default RE: Newbie here... I've decided to get the Dodge

First off, dont mess with used, going new you get the lifetime powertrain. If possible id wait for the 09 to come out. I wish i had waited after seeing it and the interior options:buckets n floor shifter. Staying with the 1500 hemi will give ya the mds, (shutting down 4 cylinders). Good choice in going dodge and good luck with it and welcome to the forum.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:27 PM
JayH2112
Veteran

Only thing I regret with mine is not getting an 03+ with the Hemi. I am still very happy with my power, its just not a Hemi. Otherwise these are great trucks. Personally I think the MDS would bug the crap outta me, but then again after I saw my gas mileage I would probably be a little happier. If you want all those options I would definitely think about used and see what kind of warranty options you would have.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:44 PM
JoeNashville

ORIGINAL: semigod

First off, dont mess with used, going new you get the lifetime powertrain. If possible id wait for the 09 to come out. I wish i had waited after seeing it and the interior options:buckets n floor shifter. Staying with the 1500 hemi will give ya the mds, (shutting down 4 cylinders). Good choice in going dodge and good luck with it and welcome to the forum.
Is the lifetime warranty really unlimited? Miles, etc? Those warranties always seem to have to many catches for me, but if it's truly unlimited it would be be worth while... as long as Chrysler stays in business! I can wait for the '09s. I'm looking to buy in about 6 weeks and some of the 09s are already out so I could wait a little longer.

I just had an eye opener. I went to the Dodge.com to 'build' my own and what they priced came up around $1,500 less than similar trucks at local dealerships, even with the destination charge!!

This should be fun, I may order mine to get exactly what I want, although I like the idea of used or an older model to save some money. [:-]

Old 03-28-2008, 04:12 PM
StevenMoffettKY
Veteran

Joe! I'm an hour north of you in Bowling Green! Congrats on deciding to get a Dodge. I actually got mine in Nashville, at Music City Dodge, you should check them out.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:18 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

i haven't had a thing go wrong with mine. i've got the v6, and am let down but not the power it has, cause it has a lot of it, just the speed of it.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:23 PM
JoeNashville

ORIGINAL: StevenMoffettKY

Joe! I'm an hour north of you in Bowling Green! Congrats on deciding to get a Dodge. I actually got mine in Nashville, at Music City Dodge, you should check them out.
Where are they? Is that the dealer on Murfressboro Road? They didn't come up on the Dodge websites list of dealers for some reason. None of my dealers of choice came up for some reason.[>:]

Old 03-28-2008, 05:06 PM
jstmahoney
Captain

you get more benifits of buying new, waranry and you get better finance rates on new than you do on used

Old 03-29-2008, 01:23 AM
StevenMoffettKY
Veteran

ORIGINAL: JoeNashville

ORIGINAL: StevenMoffettKY

Where are they? Is that the dealer on Murfressboro Road? They didn't come up on the Dodge websites list of dealers for some reason. None of my dealers of choice came up for some reason.[>:]
Yeah, Murfreesboro Road, their website is http://www.musiccitydodge.com/

Old 03-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Wintergreen

ORIGINAL: jstmahoney

you get more benifits of buying new, waranry and you get better finance rates on new than you do on used
I disagree, I bought a 2006 with 19500 on it. I get the remainder of the 3yr/36000 bumper to bumper and it being a certified used, I get the remainder 8/80000 powertrain warranty. Yes, you get better rates new on a 36000 truck, but im paying 4.6% on a 23000 used truck. You do the math and decide what is good for your situation.

Quick Reply: Newbie here... I've decided to get the Dodge