3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire help Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:32 PM
RedRam2005
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tire help Please

Yeah but pro comps tend to wear out early and they are kind of over priced. I am looking for a MT way over an AT. The only Pro Comp I looked into was the extreme X-terrain tires, but I would go with the Mick Thomps Baja-Claw radial over the pro comps all day.I am stongly looking at the MTZ's.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:49 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

the mtz's are a great tire... the pro comop xtreme at's look and perform great and come with a 40K mile warranty....

Old 04-01-2008, 03:49 PM
RedRam2005
Professional

I agree that the Pro Comp is a solid tire, but I am looking for something that is a little bit more aggresive and beefy. However I still need it to last long and drive well on the road and that's why I am looking into the MTZ's. They are really aggressive looking, but they last for an eternity and are resonably quite for a MT tire. I think that is the route I am looking into.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: RedRam2005

Wow I have heard that the KO's are usually at least a 50K tire. Perhaps you got a bad set. I am stongly thinking about the MTZ's though. How much should I expect out of them if I rotate every time I change the oil? They look like a real nice tire and I am sure that they will last about 50k if well taken care of.
No, I said it's apples to oranges, I've got the cheapy dealer issued A/T's on the Grand Cherokee.
They handle great on pavement, even in the Florida rain deluges, but I'm not gonna see 25k out of them. They are not even the same tread as the BFG A/T's you see advertised. They say "BFG A/T Tractions" on them, very cheazy.
Believe me, you'll never be sorry with a set of MTZ's. They'll perform great and last forever (well almost forever) and although noisy compared to just about any A/T tread, they are not loud compared to most aggressive mud terrain tires.

Oh, and TD: Enough of the damn Pro Comp talk, I got a kid works for me just replaced a set of 33" Pro Comp A/T's on his Jeep with 21k on them, was sliding all over the wet Florida highways in the rain. I thought we already had this one out!!![:@] Tried to get him to go for Fun Country II's but he got the BFG A/T's because of the price. He's been slamming the Pro Comps all over the Jeep Forums. I always did like that kid...

Old 04-01-2008, 05:00 PM
RedRam2005
Professional

Oh I see. Missed that part. lol But I am still really looking into the MTZ 315x70x17's. I think those will give me exactly what I am looking for. Plus they weigh 13lbs less per tire than the toyo's and are a bit narrower... better gas mileage.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:39 PM
1 Big B
Professional

Sounds like you got it figured out. MTZ it is they will probibilly work fine for you, all you can do is try a set and see what happens.

B

Old 04-01-2008, 05:47 PM
RedRam2005
Professional

ORIGINAL: 1 Big B

Sounds like you got it figured out. MTZ it is they will probibilly work fine for you, all you can do is try a set and see what happens.

B
Yeah it does look like that, but I really still like the BFG KM2's also. How do your's ride (performance/noise) and how many miles do you think you are going to get out of them. I was looking into those tires too becuase they are supposed to last for a long time too.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:04 PM
1 Big B
Professional

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

About half a dozen guys who are in a large group that leases a big hunting tract did a "group buy" on the Toyo's in Nov. of 06. All sets were 35x12.5's with wheel sizes varying from 15" to 18". Three are on Dodge trucks and NOBODY has talked of any "pull" issues. They all love them and would all do it again, despite my advice at the time to look at Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek tires.
So of your subset of dataonly 3 trucks match our example. That is not a very big sample of the big picture. I'm only talking specificly about about the 35x12.5x17 size tire on Dodge trucks.

With that said the tire store I go to sells a little more than 1000 set of those tires in a year and lets say that 30% go on dodge trucks (~300). So if they have problems with 90% of them that is 270 sets of tires that folks may have problems with. Hopefully if someone does buy a set they are one of the 30 good sets. Granted this is not a big sample in the big picture but it should shed more confidence than 3.

I'm just sharing the information that I have frist hand knowledge of, where you are going off hear say. Maybe the tires you are getting in Georgia or Florida are out of a different factory than we get here in the Pacific NorthwestI don't know.What I do know isthat if you are expecting your truck to stay on the road after put a set of these on you might want to think about again before shelling out $1000 or more.

Just my .02 cents
B

Old 04-01-2008, 06:13 PM
1 Big B
Professional

I really like the BFG KM2 MT. They are not the quitest tire you'll find, but I don't really notice them that much.You might not noticesome MT tires with the FLOW 44 on there.

I have had them on my truck for about 2K miles now so I don't really know how they will wear and nobody really does since kinda new on the market. They seem to be doing great, I sipped the center lugs and they work great in the snow we had last weekend. I had to try to slip a tire.

Good luck with your decision I know you want to do your homeworkand I understand

B

Old 04-01-2008, 06:22 PM
RedRam2005
Professional

ORIGINAL: 1 Big B

I really like the BFG KM2 MT. They are not the quitest tire you'll find, but I don't really notice them that much.You might not noticesome MT tires with the FLOW 44 on there.

I have had them on my truck for about 2K miles now so I don't really know how they will wear and nobody really does since kinda new on the market. They seem to be doing great, I sipped the center lugs and they work great in the snow we had last weekend. I had to try to slip a tire.

Good luck with your decision I know you want to do your homeworkand I understand

B

Thanks for your help and yeah I definately am trying to reaserch before I buy them. I don't want to spend 1000 on tires that I don't like or that I will have to replace after only 30k. By the way I have DOR 40series flowmaster system sitting in my garage that I am installing this sat. I have owned the truck for almost 3 weeks now and its my baby. 05 Ram 1500 4x4 QCSB 4.7. It's alot nicer than the 04 F150 I was looking at. I am probably going to go with the MTZ's though becuase of the reputation of Mick Thomp tires. I want 37's, but I am not sure about doing that with an IFS suspension after what Hammer has told me about his friends.

Quick Reply: Tire help Please