3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Subwoofer choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:32 AM
cddailey
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Subwoofer choices

if you have the $ i would step it up to the alpine type r

Old 04-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Pete J

ORIGINAL: InhumaneTorture

Of both of those choices, go with the Alpine. Alpine has it over Pioneer subs hands down. I used to compete in SPL and later SQL, IASCA sanctioned car audio compititions and was an MECP certified installer for six years - trust me, Alpine is the better choice. What will you be powering it with?

As impressive as your credentials are, could you perhaps provide us with some details on why "Alpine is the better choice". Could you perhaps break down the T/S specs and give us a comparison or do you have some statistical information you could share?If you have modeled both subs in LEAP or another designing program, could you post the results?

I guess my question is; what, specifically, makes Alpine better than Pioneer both overall and in this particular application?

One thing I have found while looking around on the internet is that "trust me" is not a substitute for factual information.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Pete J

ORIGINAL: yullose

i would go with the alpine type s you are looking at just remember those wattages you stated are peak not rms. the type s is only 300 watt rms not sure about the pioneer but who cares because they do suck at making subs. If you dont have an amp yet alpine makes a v power m450 that is a perfect match for that sub.
Since you are basing your suggestions on how much power a subwoofer can handle thermally, is it safe to assume you are lookingat which sub is the loudest? If not, why would would power handling, using music which is dynamic in nature, be a consideration?

If you are basing your suggestion on which sub is the loudest, how do you feel Pioneer subs would do in the world of USACi SPL comps?

Old 04-01-2008, 03:00 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

ORIGINAL: satansfx

There are alot of choices out there. Don't just go looking for the "name brands".

so the enclosure is roughly .65^3 and you can only go 5 3/4" or less. Ok, now we're on to something here.. Are the holes already cut?

Ok, on to choice fordriver then!!

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=30

This one has a displacement of .05^3 so if your enclosure is .65^3 then we minus the .05 for driver displacement and come up with a total net volume of .60^3. And this driver just happens to model the best in .55-.65^3 for small sealed.

Now, im sure some of you are reading this and saying "I've never heard of eD, they must not be any good" that's ok, I can understandthis, and I can respect this. I was the same way too when it came to speakers, speaker building, car parts, ect.. Don't believe EVERYTHING you read online... you know stuff like that. But take a look at this video of the driver going through its QC process
http://edesignaudio.com/11kv2_video.php

Flame on, I have my flame retardant suit on....
my friend has a pair of these!!! not sure which ones exactly. but these things HIT!!!! and best of all, they have great SQL. they hit on time too. these would be nice to get.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:46 PM
yullose

I was simply stating that number besause in his original post he listed the type s as a 900 watt sub witch it is not. And pioneer does make "loud" subs hence the world record. I have two alpine type x and two pioneer elite comp pros same box same two pdx 1.1000 perfered the type x over the pioneer, cleaner and tighter. So now my brother now has two pioneer subs. Just correcting a false number.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Pete J

With sub performance being a combination of T/S specs, enclosure size/type/location, available power and tuning, using the same size enclosure for subs with different T/S specifications would yield completely different results.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:58 PM
satansfx

ORIGINAL: HighDuke1911
my friend has a pair of these!!! not sure which ones exactly. but these things HIT!!!! and best of all, they have great SQL. they hit on time too. these would be nice to get.
They hit on time? I don't understand this statement....

Do other subs take a break between low Hz frequency cycles?? :P

Old 04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

ok lemme reword this for someone who takes things very literally... the subwoofer makes a low frequency sound at the exact moment it is supposed to. it has no delay. is that better?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:05 PM
syn65

[align=left]Why does everyone think that just because a sub goes loud and pushes out x rms that it is the best ? Subs do actually have a different sound from type to type. It all just depends what your looking for. I like my rockfords because when I listen to my main choice of music they kick me in the chest and it sounds like it's a live concert in my truck. When making your choice go wherever and have a good listen to what each sounds like to you. Just because someone says/is a member of a bunch of letters doesn't mean they'll have the same ear as you. Just my opinion.
[/align][align=left] [/align]

Old 04-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Hemipwr07
Veteran

glad i caught this. i would DEF get alpine. i had two type e's but i JUST got 2 10in type r's with 2 450 watt amps...problm is they dont fit in the box i have under my seat ha. so im gonna try and modify it this weeknd. but def go with alpine. also have the alpine ida-x001 headunit

Quick Reply: Subwoofer choices