3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Black dots on top of windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:49 PM
RAM0447
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black dots on top of windshield?

Hey you all, what are the black dots on top of the windshield from the inside? I have a strip of purple tint I WANT to take off desperately since I re-tinted my rear window to 5% in the back and 35% on the sides. Finally got rid of the cheap purple crap! I took off the tint fine, but haven't touched the window strip. Couldn't be the antenna I'm assuming, but could it be part of the defroster or not? Or are they just there? I screwed up my first car when I stripped it off and it screwed up the radio signal (sold it like that and owner is probably pissed lol), but don't know if the one on the ram is for some type of shading or part of the defroster. Please respond before I rip it off improperly! I'm too lazy to go down to my parent's house to borrow a steamer. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:59 PM
GLOK1132
Default RE: Black dots on top of windshield?

i think those "dots" are there so the sun wont reflect of your rear view mirror, but i could be wrong

Old 04-02-2008, 06:07 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a reasonable guess. Might be to help keep the mirror a bit cooler for those who have electronics in 'em (auto dimming, Smart Beam, etc.).

Old 04-02-2008, 07:17 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its just shading.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:52 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Windshield glass contains a black enamel band (called the frit) around the periphery that is baked into the glass. This black band includes a border of dots. See figure. The band has an etched surface to enable adhesive to bond to the glass, says a sales manager at Able Auto Glass. When car manufacturers install the windshield, they bond the windshield to the vehicle with adhesive placed on the etched part of the black enamel glass area (inside surface). The outside of the enamel band shades the adhesive from the Sun and protects it from ultraviolet radiation. The band also serves a cosmetic purpose by covering up the adhesive and gives the windshield edge "a more finished look."
I used to manufacture windshields, and I can tell you from personal experience that they are indeed there for a reason. I wouldnt go ripping it off either, as it may cause your windshield to come loose.

Quick Reply: Black dots on top of windshield?