3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans work done...... no idea what was wrong

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Rizzo20
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans work done...... no idea what was wrong

I had trans work done at my local dealership and I have no idea what they did...... I picked the truck up late and was in a hurry. I figured I'd read the work order and see what they did. Can anyone interpret for me??? LOL

"ChK'D For DTC's or Flash updates for TCM. Found L-R CVI's @ 131 . This applies in low and reverse. R&R valve body & check tower seal & PSI. Checked L-R Clutch / OK. Replaced both filters, filled unit to spec. Quick learned shift points."

I also saw where they used materials: 4x4 Filter, FilterPKG, Sealer, Fluid, Cleaner.

Another thing I noticed after getting home was the bottom of my trans pan was wet with trans fluid. Not dripping but looked like it had an even coat of fluid on it. Another thing that was weird, I could clearly see they had my front drive shaft off, because there were 4 visible spots on the the front mounting plate where it looked like the yoke was bolted back on using the 4 holes that wern't used before. I guess there are eight holes in the round plate that hooks to the transfer case. There were 4 clean spots and the yoke was bolted in the 4 holes that wern't used previously. The truck seems to run fine but I'll know more in the morning. The original problem was on a cold start the trans wouldnt engage right away when I would try to back out of my garage. It revved up and gradually would start moving then eventually take off. Almost like I had a manual trans and was slipping the clutch slightly. I've read about some RAMS where the converter would lose it's prime. But apparently that wasn't the case with mine.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:22 PM
chadrules
Rookie
Default RE: trans work done...... no idea what was wrong

CVI = clutch volume index
L - R = Low and Reverse

http://www.sktransparts.com/help.html

Old 04-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Rizzo20
Rookie

Thanks, that does help a little. So I guess they didn't find anything wrong and just changed the filter? The L-R index of 131 is within tolerence if I read that right. Weird, cuz it slipped bad on a cold start. We'll see in the morning. I'll call the dealer toomorrow for more details. Has anyone had this same service done?

Old 04-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Rizzo20
Rookie

Well my trans slipped twice since getting it back. I called the dealer and they said they couldn't duplicate the problem and they changed both filters that the TSB suggested for converter bleed off. The service guy got ****ty with me and asked me if I realized that all trucks have a delay when putting it in gear. I guess they don't believe me when I say that it slips for about 5-7 seconds then slowly begins to move. Almost like I had a stick shift and was slipping the clutch. I'm taking it to another dealer this week, does anyone have any idea as to what's causing this? It doesn't happen all the time, especially at the dealership....

Quick Reply: trans work done...... no idea what was wrong