3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

suspenion and tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:57 PM
d4l1983
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspenion and tires

i currently owna 2002 1500 4.7 4x4. it came with some sortof a lift on it. The shocks are Pro Comp so i am assume it is a lift fabricated by them, however i have no idea as to the actual size of this life, how can i find out? I have no problem clearing the 35x12.50x18 nitto mud grappplers that I bought for it. I also have acquired a set of 37x13.50x22 toyo AT's. I was considering putting them on my truck. I need to know what additional lift suspenison/body, that i will need to clear these tires? i was also wondering if the facorty axles are strong enough to stand up to this load, if not what do i need to do? What other mods if any are needed; gears, driveshaft, brakes???Should I even consider this set up or just sell them and try something else? HELP!!!!!???

Old 04-05-2008, 04:33 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker
Default RE: suspenion and tires

If you are able to easily clear 35" then you should try and see if the 37" will fit without any more lift! I have 37x13.5R20 with only 5 1/2" lift. If they don't fit and you don't want to do any mods to the drive shaft or anything else for that matter you might want to consider a body lift. Your axles should be fine but you might want to consider some Motive 4:56 gears? Or you can stick with the 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers because they are a Kick @$$ tire!

[IMG]local://upfiles/79459/CDB412B1E3C049C69DBA9F649B5BCEED.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-05-2008, 05:37 PM
d4l1983

your absolutley right i love the nittos, they are great. i would love to get some more but i am not sure of their availibility on a tire size for 22inch rims, do you know if they make such a tire?? I have looked into purchasing a body lift for my truck and it is considerably easier and cheaper than doing anything else. my only problem is that i do not know what size lift was on the truck when i bought it, i only know that its made by pro comp. I have heard some horror stories about 37's and 6+ suspensions lifts. i need to figure out what is on there already.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:13 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Kumho makes a Mud tire for 22's. They are $pendy but what tires for 22's aren't

check out ebay so you can atleast see what they look like!

Keyword Kumho MT

You can also contact discount tire direct at 800-589-6789 to see what there pricing on some would be! Take your truck into a dodge dealer and have one of the mechanics take a look at it! They should be able to tell you right away what size lift you have on your truck!

[IMG]local://upfiles/79459/6C4168F5D10345109FF98EFEAD1B4737.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-05-2008, 08:26 PM
d4l1983

Do you know anything in comparison between the Toyo open country MT and the Kumho MT's i know the Toyos are a little more expensive but sure if the value is their. Is there somewhere I can go that rates/compares these tires?? Also do you know if their are any Performance chips or modules for my 4.7??

Old 04-05-2008, 08:35 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

KUMHO MT

If you are hunting for a mud terrain tire that is a decent compromise between extremes without spending a fortune, the Kumho Road Venture MT might be what you are looking for. Everyone we have talked to who has used this tire tells us that they were a bargain falling into the low 100 dollar range depending on the size and retailer, yet they perform better offroad than most people had expected. With a tread pattern remarkably similar to the BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM, those who we have talked to say the perform about the same as the BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM. Yet they typically fall within a far lower price range, in many cases HALF what the BFGs cost. For many of us who wheel on a budget, that is significant. Tire wear is decent on road and flex offroad is good when aired down. Sidewall protection could be better with a lack of sidewall lugs however those who we know that uses these have not had an issue with sidewall damage, at least not yet. We give this tire a thumbs up for value. If you need a decent Mud Terrain tire that won't break the budget, take a look at the Kumho Road Venture MT.

TOYO MT

Toyo recently introduced its newest tire, the Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain (M/T) radial. While this tire isn't the traditional hardcore rockcrawling or extreme mud tire; it will survive the toughest backcountry challenges and perform well. The targeted market for the Open Country is those who need a comfortable, quiet, well mannered daily driven Mud Terrain tire that works as a weekend warrior on moderate to tough terrain, tackling serious trails. To accommodate a wide range of buyers, the Open Country M/T was packed with technology to make it capable of handling severe heat and frequently changing loads. It has an aggressive tread for traction and good looks, deep siping and an open-shoulder design for improved grip, and tread-block stabilizers. The tire uses a three-ply polyester casing, two wide steel belts, and two spiral-wound nylon cap plies, all of which make handling comfortable and predictable, on dirt or asphalt. In addition to its durable construction, the Open Country M/T uses an abrasion-resistant compound in the sidewall, shielding its most vulnerable area. This tire has an excellent load rating, possibly the highest available in a mud terrain: the 38x15.50x18LT tire has a 128 rating, meaning it can handle up to 3960 pounds per tire. It's also capable of a 99-mph top speed.

Check out Superchips for your truck! Don't go with Hypertect! I didn't notice any gains and I couldn't adjust the speedometer! Also you can plug superchips into your computer and get updates to your truck so it will never out date itself!

[IMG]local://upfiles/79459/8E58F2ACC577417D91282681F76F2FB8.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: suspenion and tires