3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

automatic won't let shift lever move

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:12 PM
huskerwildlife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic won't let shift lever move

OK a few weeks ago I bought a 2004 1/2 ton crew cab laramie package, hemi engine, automatic transmission. So far three times since then I've gone to leave the house in the morning and after starting the engine the shift lever won't allow me to shift into gear. It's like it's frozen solid, I can move it towards me and away from me like in the unlocking motion but up or down isn't going to happen. Although it feels mechanically stuck I'm thinking it's something else for reasons listed below.

After a bit, say 15 seconds or in one case maybe a minute, it suddenly is free as a bird again and shifts easily with no resistance at all. And it doesn't suddenly become that way as I'm trying to shift, it's always been as I just let it sit for a second and then try again it's suddenly free.

Each time this has happened the truck has been parked in front of my house overnight, temps are cool right now but only in the 30s or so. With the slope of the street for drainage the truck is sitting at just a slight lean to the driver side.

This has the larger grey kids which I believe is some sort of security system, does that provide a transmission lockout that isn't getting released right away for some reason? Or am I completely off here? Just the way it is tight as can be and then suddenly no resistance at all makes me think this is some sort of lockout mechanism goofing up?

Thoughts?

Old 04-10-2008, 04:25 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator
Default RE: automatic won't let shift lever move

are your brake lights out?

Old 08-18-2008, 12:59 AM
gengine

I have heard of a brake light switch going out, keeping the "lock" engaged on the shifting lever. I am wondering, since you have to apply brakes to shift, if there might be something to that. The other thing, right now i am having trouble with my tail lights hesitating for three seconds after i press the brake pedal. what i'm wondering is if you have the same problem, and you need to wait three seconds or so before your shifter is free.

Quick Reply: automatic won't let shift lever move