3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding OEM GPS unit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:30 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Adding OEM GPS unit?

Well i bought my REC on Ebay, a practically brand new unit with one of the newest part numbers. It even has the input for the rear view camera. Also includes the antenna and the AE disc. I paid $949 and that includes free shipping.

I also ordered the PAC Ipod Integration kit. Ill post pics and details once it's all done.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:31 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Adding OEM GPS unit?

Got my REC unit yesterday. It was mint, looked like it was never even used.

Got the GPS antenna mounted in the factory location under the round grille in the center of the dash with relative ease and mounted the radio. Powered up great and everything worked. BUT, when i went to setup the Navigation system it prompts you to insertthe NAV DVD which i recieved with the radio. Each time inserted it, the message that said "INSERT NAV-DVD" never went away. I tried almost 20 times. It never acknowledged that a disc was inserted. I called the Alpine GPS hotline and they said if it was a bad disc, it should have simply said "DISC READ ERROR" but th fact it was not even acknowleding a disc was inserted meant there was something more seriously wrong with the unit. I contacted the seller and he insisted he tested it twice. Once when he recieved the unit himself and once before he shipped it. I don't doubt he tested the unit to be sure it powered up and the basics worked, but i am doubtful he actually tried to insert the NAV disc. If he did, why not just leave the disc installed?

In any event, i sent the unit back to him where he said he would exchange it. I am keeping my fingers crossed but for now, my dash is half apart and i am left waiting for who knows how long.

Ill post the updates...

Quick Reply: Adding OEM GPS unit?