3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HOW MUCH FOR A TAILGATE

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Petz
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HOW MUCH FOR A TAILGATE

How much does a replacement tailgate run? Has anyone had luck with going to a auto salvage yard for a replacement rather then to the dealership or third party seller?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Petz
Professional
Default RE: HOW MUCH FOR A TAILGATE

well dealership costs for just the parts to assemble the tailgate is $1041.50. Now i am getting a quote from the collision dept for labor, paint, and bedliner. Guess their collision dept are the ones that would build up the tailgate.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:28 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

Whew, didn't know they cost that much....i think i am going to look and see if i can find someone to install a lock..

Old 04-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Petz
Professional

i found tailgate shells from 120 to 220 on the internet but that does not include any of the hardware inside (i.e. latch, etc.) The 1,040 is just parts alone, i still have to price out the labor, paint, and sprayed bedliner. All of this due to some crack head who is hard up for money. Now its 500 out of my pocket and the hassles of getting insurance to do their thing and of course the running around town to ensure my tailgate gets done. Word to the wise... go out today and get the pop lock.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:19 AM
dodgepartsman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might shop around to your area dealers. A lot of them do complete bed replacements (addutility bed)for their various fleet customers, and they are left with the whole bed and tail gate. Someone may be willing to part it out as a take off at a great price.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Petz
Professional

not a bad idea. the dealership that i purchased the truck at has a huge fleet of business trucks on the lot. Would have to get the thing painted since they are all white but i think its better then building one back up from detail parts. The insurance company is kicking in so its only costing me $500 dollars. Plus i am having them install the pop lock at the same time they are building it.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:56 PM
05redhemi
Professional

hey man i was in the same situation as u untill today when i randomly stoped in at a reckers and asked them fer a tail gate the guy took me around back to the the exact same identical tail gate ... even the same colour and year it was mint!!! ionly paid 250$$$$ forit.... dam 1000$$ is a rip man...so dont bother with a new one or a shell jus take ur time and look around at the auto reckers ud be pretty surprised at what u can find.... and example lol i walked by an brand new dodge 1500 daytona specail editon with the front end smashed in.....

Old 04-19-2008, 12:04 AM
RamItOne

so why arent you claiming it on your insurance?

Old 04-19-2008, 12:10 AM
05redhemi
Professional

lol because i dont feel like telling my insurance company i dented the fuhk outta my own tailgate.....[:@].... boat hitch came off and hit the rear end wen i stopped......

Old 04-19-2008, 09:46 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

ORIGINAL: 05redhemi

lol because i dont feel like telling my insurance company i dented the fuhk outta my own tailgate.....[:@].... boat hitch came off and hit the rear end wen i stopped......
Oops! Well, $250 is probably less than your deductible anyway. I wandered around a "pick 'n' pull" here and they had NO Gen 2 or Gen 3 Dodges, just a clapped-out, mangy Gen 0.5

Quick Reply: HOW MUCH FOR A TAILGATE