3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alignment after installing leveling kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:22 PM
zagbean
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment after installing leveling kit?

Hey guys,
Recently purchased an '08 1500 Big Horn Edition and I've been reading on this forum for a week straight since I bought the truck! I want to get 35x12.50x20 Nitto Mud Grapplers and in order to do so, I've read I can install a 2.5" leveling kit. So I was thinking of purchasing the kit from topgunzcustomz which comes highly recommended from so many of you, but my question was: Would an alignment be highly recommended after installing the new wheels, tires, and leveling kit? This might be a dumb question, but I just want to do things right. Also, how difficult is it to install the leveling kit? Looks pretty simple but just wanted to ask all of you experienced pro's! Thanks!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:31 PM
firemedic740
Veteran
Default RE: Alignment after installing leveling kit?

Never installed one on IFS, but solid axle is a piece of cake. I think I did mine with a friend- took us about 45 min. You kind a need 2 people when putting the bracket on the shock tower.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 PM
firemedic740
Veteran

Oh yeah forgot, I didn't get an alignment afterwards, everything feels fine and drives straight. The tires seem to still wear evenly. But like I said never done an IFS.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:36 PM
mmstar23
Champion

on an IFS you pretty much NEED an alignment as far asi hear. everyone has gotten one afterwards. i have a leveling kit, didnt align mine, but im getting new tires soon. theres a DIY in the DIY section on how to do it. normally takes about 2 hours. took me over 4 for the first side and like 40 minutes for the second. i did my share of research too, i knew exactly how to do it...but actually getting down there...and doing the work, it takes a lot longer than i thought haha.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:35 AM
HEMI07
Veteran

I have an 07 that I recently put the topguncustomz leveling kit on and YES you definetely need an alignment after. The camber is going to be way out. My wheels were crowned out at the top. AND MAKE SURE YOU DO NO GO TO THE DEALER FOR THE ALIGNMENT. They had my truck for 2 whole days and its still not right. Go to a 4 wheel shop or a reputable tire shop that can handle modified trucks.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:51 AM
outbreak
Rookie

I just installed a leveling kit yesterday! GO with a Top Gun! I got a tuff country and it's probably 10x harder than a Top Gun. Compressing the coil and everything... No need to do that with a Top Gun.

And yes, I got an alignment. EVERYTHING was off! And it was $149!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Scott06HEMI
Professional

I had a RevTek leveling kit installed. Only cost me about $60 for the kit and I had a shop do the install. I asked the shop about needing an alignment and they said drive it around for a few days and see if it pulls, if it does then they'd do it. Well it didn't pull and I got 35s a few months later and had it aligned then. I think I remember them saying it was out a little bit but nothing that would have caused damage.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Timmerduder
Veteran

I had my buddy do mine (he is a pro) and he said absolutely get an allignment... "you are a fool not to" he said...

Quick Reply: Alignment after installing leveling kit?