3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MOPAR Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 07:52 PM
WNYRAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOPAR Remote Start

I recently spent $400 on a Mopar remote start for my 04 QC. (I KNOW...EXPENSIVE) Dealer told me aftermarket would void warranty. Does anyone know how to disable the horn chirp feature for this product or to make it run longer than 10 minutes?

Old 01-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Rabies
Default RE: MOPAR Remote Start

I have the same remote. Should you find the answer to this please post.

Thanks,

Old 01-11-2005, 10:47 AM
stupidface
Professional

how would it void your warrenty,, just curious, so if u took it to best buy or curciut city and ur alarm screwd sumpthen up, wouldnt the company who installed it be at fault, not trying to start something it just sounds like a way for the dealer ship to steal ur money, i wanted a factory remote start for mine but i found much better with greater options, anywho sorry bout the rant

Old 01-22-2005, 06:12 PM
WNYRAM

Void the warranty? Yes. If any problems are found secondary to the installation of an aftermarket remote start, the warranty won't cover repairs. I spoke with a friend of mine who is a Dodge mechanic and he said that the '04 and '05 chryslers and Dodges have been having tons of problems w/aftermarket remote starters. Apparently they just stop running. Wouldn't be surprised if MOPAR decided they would be the ONLY ONES that could build a remote start for these vehicles and the computers are programmed to not play nice with aftermarket ones.

BTW, the module can be programmed (by the dealer) to run longer. I got mine bumped up to 15 minutes (free). There is no way to disable the horn chirp. Sucks to be my neighbors (or my dog) when I start the truck to go to work.

Old 01-23-2005, 01:35 AM
Boulee
Record Breaker

this is just an idea, so I'm not promissing anything, but try doing that "combination trick"
thats in the owners manual to stop the horn beeping when you push the lock button on
the key fob. there may be a remote chance that those functions are linked.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:29 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Hate to tell you, but that "Mopar" starter you bought is an aftermarket. Its made by code alarm. The problems that most chryslers are having is the cheap wires chrysler uses for the ignition modules. The other problem is poor installation, which is usually done by the owner. I have an auto page on both of my 04's. Never had any problems. The cool thing is one remote operates both cars!

Joe

Old 01-23-2005, 10:25 PM
bullitt1229
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had a remote start installed on my '03 QC (Viper 791XV). This may be a stab in the dark, but the problem with the new ones may have to do with the grey key. I know when I was getting mine installed, they asked me if I had the black or grey key. They said the ones with the grey key require an extra box or something like that. I have the black key so I didn't have to worry about that. Just a guess.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:55 PM
Rabies

ORIGINAL: WNYRAM
BTW, the module can be programmed (by the dealer) to run longer. I got mine bumped up to 15 minutes (free). There is no way to disable the horn chirp.

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:40 PM
B1G MEL

jgralka is right to just let everyone know, i've been in this industry tooo long to even start giving out the secrets behind all of this. the alarms that are dealer options are all aftermarket dodge is just trying to sell you stuff so that they make a profit.

Cars get messed up with remote starts because of two things: Installer Error and Cheap Equipment

The Gray key is a transponder unit that needs to be bypassed with a module, this could cause the car to not start IF it is not installed right or installed very poorly.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Haulin A

Yes the horn can be disabled and 15 minutes is max for run time. Make sure to have both remotes with you because after reprograming mine with 1 remote the other does not work. Oh ya, and expect to 2 hours waiting.

Quick Reply: MOPAR Remote Start