3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2wd 1500 Leveling Kit - Shocks that fit!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:01 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2wd 1500 Leveling Kit - Shocks that fit!

ORIGINAL: buckshot305
as for you Mike, I am surprised you haven't had any probs with a 2.5" kit. I have heard of 07 2wds having problems with the shocks, it's possible that from 94-08 there have been several different shocks used, and yours work. My stock shocks were fully extended and I had to have someone sit on my bumper to get them to go back in with my spacers.
I know. It's been probably at least fifteen years since I've had to change out any shocks on a vehicle. My Dodge van had 183K on it when it died. Still had the original shocks. I "got some air" in my current Ram last weekend. It settled back on the ground with no bounce or nasty noises. I was hopin' for an excuse to get some Monroe Reflexes for it , but I'm not buying shocks 'til I gotta have 'em.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:32 PM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear that....thank god for ebay! Truck is like riding on a cloud with these billies!

Old 05-03-2008, 02:52 PM
blackram5.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know about 2wd but with 3" lift I found the skyjacker nitro's to be excellent on my 4wd

Old 05-10-2008, 02:04 AM
roadney
Professional

I installed a 2.5" spacer and left the stock isolator in. Got almost 4" of lift in the front and than installed a 2" block in the back for a level stance. Also installed 2" longer pro comp shocks the stock length will not work. Now I am having problems with the upper control arm hitting the spring bucket when I hit large dips or bumps. Anyone have a solution for this? I think I am going to weld some nuts together and make a spacer for the upper control arm so that it sits 3" inches higher to avoid the contact. Has anyone done this?

Old 04-02-2009, 11:40 PM
74charger
Veteran

Danm this is a very back and forth issue. I also just bought the 2 1/2 inch leveling kit and the guy absolutely assured me 100% that I didnt need new shocks that my stock ones will be totaly fine becuase the bump stops will prevent my suspension from over extenting andblowing the shock. But you guys say it is a must so now im very confused.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:54 AM
Freakinkeith806
All Star

I put 2'' spacers on my truck. And I DID install the stock spacer on top of the new spacer. My kit was made for it, the top of the new spacer has cut to slide into the stock spacers.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:22 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by roadney
I installed a 2.5" spacer and left the stock isolator in. Got almost 4" of lift in the front and than installed a 2" block in the back for a level stance. Also installed 2" longer pro comp shocks the stock length will not work. Now I am having problems with the upper control arm hitting the spring bucket when I hit large dips or bumps. Anyone have a solution for this? I think I am going to weld some nuts together and make a spacer for the upper control arm so that it sits 3" inches higher to avoid the contact. Has anyone done this?
Do you have some pics of your truck you can send to me? Id love to see it and how it stands.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:40 AM
theHemiBeast
Professional

I just bought the 2" spacer from Fatbob's, and I am such a noob about trucks and lifts.

So, there is a stock "spacer" already in my truck? Now I am reading that one person here used both, and one other is recommending not using both. I'm really confused.

Also, I was looking at the Pro Comp es3000 as shocks, this is the option from Fatbob's, anyone have these??

Old 04-03-2009, 09:46 AM
theHemiBeast
Professional

Originally Posted by buckshot305
.......... Third: 1.5" Spacers probably won't level your truck out. In fact, my 2" spacers did not fully level my truck out. I got exactly 2" (with out stock isolators - just the new spacers). DO NOT install the isolators with the spacers. The spacers are designed to REPLACE the stock isolators. I know there are 2.5" spacers out there, but I would not recommend them. With the 2" spacers, my upper control arms are touching the spring bucket with the truck in the air and have minimal clearance with the truck on the ground. 2.5" may be too much, spindles would be better. I had a hell of a time getting the 2" spacers in and I seriously doubt I would have been able to get 2.5s in.
Can you explain a little what the stock isolators are??

Thanks

Old 04-03-2009, 09:59 AM
theHemiBeast
Professional

Originally Posted by Freakinkeith806
I put 2'' spacers on my truck. And I DID install the stock spacer on top of the new spacer. My kit was made for it, the top of the new spacer has cut to slide into the stock spacers.
Since you left your "stock spacer" in, is your truck totally level?? Meaning, if you didn't leave those in, you wouldn't be level with the 2" spacer by itself?? Which is not what the original poster was saying here:
Third: 1.5" Spacers probably won't level your truck out. In fact, my 2" spacers did not fully level my truck out. I got exactly 2" (with out stock isolators - just the new spacers). DO NOT install the isolators with the spacers. The spacers are designed to REPLACE the stock isolators. I know there are 2.5" spacers out there, but I would not recommend them. With the 2" spacers, my upper control arms are touching the spring bucket with the truck in the air and have minimal clearance with the truck on the ground. 2.5" may be too much, spindles would be better. I had a hell of a time getting the 2" spacers in and I seriously doubt I would have been able to get 2.5s in.

Quick Reply: 2wd 1500 Leveling Kit - Shocks that fit!