3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flooding ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:32 AM
speeddemon145
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooding ?

I have a 04 1500 with 5.7. Truck is flooding out with gas after sitting all night, or thats the way its acting. will not start up just turns over and over. But if you floor the gas it stumbles to life clearing its self. then it will start up fine rest of day no codes so far. have 60k miles on it.
might have to bring it in to get it checked out at dealer hope not . Thanks for any help..

Old 04-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flooding ?

sounds like you have a bad injector. Fuel pressure could be leaking through the injector as the truck sits. To check this, on the passenger side of the engine on the fuel rail, there is a fuel test port, remove the cap,wrap a rag around the test port and depress the valve stem to relieve the pressure being carefull not to spray fuel on yourself or the engine (hence the rag). Do this on a cool engine before parking the truck for the night. In the morning, turn the key to the on position for about 5 seconds to allow the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel system, then start the truck as normal. If the truck kicks right off, you most likely have an injector leaking through. Removing the fuel pressure from the rail should keep fuel from leaking around the internal o-ring in the offending injector.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Motoxtom
Thumbs up Re: Flooding ?

I had a similar issue, but my hard starting problem manifested itself after starting, driving and then sitting for about an hour after it's hot. It would crank and finaly start after either a long cranking period or taping the gas pedal to the floor quickly. This would set P2299 codes which are brake and accelerator pedal mismatch codes. The key was a P306 code (cylinder #6 misfire was also detected and in the end the injector for the number 6 cylinder had a slow drip while under pressure after the engine was shut off. My Mechanic pull the fuel rail after starting and could see the dripping injector seeping every 5-10 seconds until the pressure in the system dropped. This was causing the flooded condition in the manifold and heard starting. If the truck sat overnight the fuel would eveporate enough to start okay in the morning.

Tom

Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Norman Calkins
Default 98 dodge 1500 flooding

I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 and it's flooding really bad and can't get truck to start. The fuel pressure is normal and has new plugs. Any idea on what could be causing this?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy old thread batman!

Well at least you searched for a thread first... welcome to Dodge Forum.

You are in the wrong section of the forum, but if I was you, I would take a look at each of the injectors and see if they are damaged/clogged... if you have over 150k miles on the truck, you might want to check the fuel filter & pump too.

We will need more info on your truck though.... what motor, how many miles, and any modifications?

Quick Reply: Flooding ?