3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

clay bar usage

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 03:08 PM
stunta666
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clay bar usage

Do i have to wax or polish my truck right after i clay it? Reaoson being is i can't afford to spend a whole day detailing my truck and was hoping to do it in 2 stages. It'll be over a 3 day period.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
StevenMoffettKY
Veteran
Default RE: clay bar usage

I think they are supposed to be complimenting to each other. I don't think you have to wax immediately after clay bar'ing. But the results are much better if you do clay bar first. I just did mine a few weeks ago. Man it took awhile. Have fun!

Oh yeah, and post some pics of that clean truck!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:50 PM
dreman
Professional

Do different parts to spread the time over several days. Do the hood and front fenders one day, the roof and doors the next day, and the bed the third day. Or whatever schedule works for you. You may have to rewash a section before you do it, but a good car wash soap won't remove the wax.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:57 PM
RAM0447
Professional

Yeah, because when you are using the spray with the clay bar, it'll clean out the contaminants in the clear coat, for the clear coat will need protection (wax) after cleaning it with clay. But it'd be more work to do it over a 3 day period since you are probably going to have to wash it each time UNLESS you are not driving your truck within those days. But definitly wash it each time if you are driving it in that time period. Have fun! My clay bar was blue when new, and was brown when I was finished with it....that's how bad mine needed it! haha smooth as a baby's *** now

Old 04-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Ben D.
Champion

you don't have to do it right away after claying but don't wait forever. mebbe a few days. because claybar takes off all the old wax/protectant you had on the paint previously.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:53 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like said, break the job into 3 parts.

I clay, then spritz with clear water with a spritzer bottle and towel dry (no need for the total wash). Then wax that section.

Quick Reply: clay bar usage