3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gave the truck new eyes today

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:36 PM
D917
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gave the truck new eyes today

ORIGINAL: MikeHTally

The light transmission is pretty good. The low beams provide very goodshoulder-to-shoulder coverage. The high beams shoot down the road pretty well, too. I'll take her out tonight and try to get some shots of the coverage. Here are a couple of shots I took this morning.

[IMG]local://upfiles/69696/FE54E51187F847428899738B32F8BA5A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/69696/C01597ED9F864D5BB2153EAC53FDE661.jpg[/IMG]
Nice

What brand of fog lights do you have inside the grill and was it hard to wire them?

Old 05-03-2008, 09:49 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, they're not fogs, they're driving lights. KC HiLites Titaniums. Not hard to wire. The kit comes with everything you need: Relay, master switch, lamps, and mounting hardware. I used a switched lead under the dash to power the relay. The relay switches direct from the battery to the lights. I used a separate switch so I could have manual control of the lights.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:59 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Here are some pics I took tonight. The rain (such as it was) ended early, so... The difference between the high beam and low beam is noticeable.

[IMG]local://upfiles/69696/CC3A22F3F66B4B5F82B37982D90D8AE0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/69696/A1FF173DDFDA4F46ADEE1B5BAC416D75.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-04-2008, 01:29 AM
TraptuR
Rookie

looks really good man,
ya theyre fun to wire up! i paid $150 for mine. im thinking about putting HIDs behind the projector, but i heard it will burn the lens, but im gonna see what people say about that.
mmstar, I currently have HID's and really like the halo headlights your running right now. think i'll be able to work that out?
did you get them off e-bay?

Old 05-04-2008, 03:54 AM
RamItOne

theyre KC, most sites dont list them, dont even think KC lists them as they are being discontinued since the HID ones are what they are wanting to sell for the high candlepower, (but 1k for lights, id rather go to a boob bar and then a ***** house and then a clinic for all the stds i get)... ill try to look, i called some 4x4 shops here and they looked through their inventory, all of them would have had to order it from their other stores.... what i want is a setup like this ^|^ basically put the kc 380,000 cp (theyre 150 watt) lights on the bull bar and a bad *** pencil beam inside the hood. for those that dont know what a pencil bean is, its basically the straightest brightest beam you can get, but unless you buy like 4 of them, its better to buy the off road lights as they dont give much of a spread at all...

Old 05-04-2008, 04:13 AM
RamItOne

theyre 6" dia and plus 1" on the mount, so boys and girls thats 7" of verticle space needed.

if youre piaas are <5" then i dont think theyd fit, but >or= 5" then i think you can get 7 inches in there...

quote "then i think you can get 7 inches in there..." thats what she said....

you can always look at extending your brackets so theyll fit. also maybe keep the piaas on the bar and mount the KC behind the grill (only if the KC's wont fit on the bar) you cant run them on the streets, you will get pulled over and ticketed, plus theyre brighter than anyones brights youve seen oncoming so you could put yourself in danger by blinding the oncoming, but go for it on the SOB that cuts you off.. that and an train horn... hrm maybe you should just get a pencil light and a train horn so ill look like a train and sound like a train lol...
anyways just got back from drinking, went to bed at 2am and got up at 330 and and have been up the whole day and started drinking about 3PM so .........................

Old 05-05-2008, 11:46 AM
XxSilentHawk99xX
Captain

Nice lights Mike...They look very clean. I did have a set in my truck at one point but the brackets that held the primary headlight broke and the lights sat low...But other then that, I'd say have fun with it but make sure to keep your stockers

Old 05-05-2008, 12:33 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Thanks, I think I like 'em better now than when I did the installation. Good advice. Yep, my shed is accumulating a lot of OEM stuff. Wheels, Hemi-hat, tail lights, floor mats, etc.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:17 AM
Midnight Blue
Professional

Actually, John, those big reflectors do a better job of gathering light and getting it out on the road than the smaller separate light systems. I'm running Hella H4 conversion lights with Silverstars in my '68 pickup and the high beams light up the road much better than my wife's 300m Special (projected beam HID lows, Silverstar highs) or my '06 Charger (Silverstars all around). The low beams (55watts per side) on my Hellas are the "Euro" style with a flat topped beam and a right side kick up to illuminate the shoulder (like the wife's Chrysler) which is great in fog or heavy rain/snow.The high beams are the usual round pattern and at 60 w per side will outshine the combined 55 + 60 watt per side of the passenger cars.

Maybe it's that the Hella's are a better system than what Daimler put in the Dodges. I'll find out shortly when my new 1500 arrives and I put the Silverstars in that one. I'm sure a high beam projected system could be designed tomatch the illumination of the larger reflected system. I personally think that the projected systems should be standard equipment - even the cheap cars from Korea have them so why can't we? Even with standard halogen bulbs, the light control is superior so you can put more light on the road without blinding the other drivers. HID's produce the same amount of light with less power consumption (26w vs 55w) and the color temperature is closer to natural daylight but the Silverstars are cheaper and will give a similar daylight color temperature and illumination.

Redbeard

Quick Reply: Gave the truck new eyes today