3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing Rear Wheeels

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:23 AM
jstmahoney
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Rear Wheeels

I'm going to be replacing the rotors and pads soon, and me noticed last time I attempted to get the back wheels off, they wouldn't come off. Is there some trick that I don't know? These are the OEM 20" rims.

Thanks
Justin

Old 05-04-2008, 11:48 AM
sk425k
Professional
Default RE: Removing Rear Wheeels

so you popped off th elug nuts and the rims just didnt 'fall' off is what you mean? I have had this happen to a few trucks i helped friends fix, i usually hit the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock till it loosens up. i use either a heavy rubber mallet or my hands and soemtimes you really have to hit it hard so dont be afraid. i hope this helps you out. there also might be like a little spring clip that hold the rotor on the rear axel during assemble just use a pair of needle nose pliers or vise grips to rip it off it is usually on one of the 5 wheel studs.. good luck

Old 05-04-2008, 11:49 AM
abarmby
Champion
Default RE: Removing Rear Wheeels

No real trick justin.
Just make sure your truck is solidly jacked up and on stands. Then remove all the lug nuts and with the heels of your feet (wear stout boots), pound on either side of the wheels alternating with your left and right foot.
This will hopefully, break the wheels free from the hubs, in a rocking motion.
You might have to seriously pound on thoses suckers, as they can be very difficult to remove. Just watch your heels and don't damage your feet.
Some people use a large rubber hammer, but I found the foot approach better.
Most important, when reinstalling the wheels,apply a little copper slip with a brush on the hub face between the studs. Just a smear is all you need.
This will stop corrosion binding your wheels to the hubs in the future.
Hope this helps bud?
AL.

Quick Reply: Removing Rear Wheeels