3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brighter headlight bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brighter headlight bulbs?

If you want brighter a HID retrofit is the only way to go imo. If you want just bulbs don't expect a huge difference but check out Silverstars. I've heard bad things about PIAA's not lasting and then read articles that have tested them and said that them a long with most other bulbs that are similar are worse than stock as far as light output goes. Plus they are super expensive. If I was going to spend that much I'd spend the little extra for a pnp HID kit.

With the Hella bulbs and really not just with Hella's but with any 80/100watt bulbs they usually put out a lot more heat and what happens is it melts the plug on the stock wiring harness. Some companies like Nokya make pnp harnesses that you plug into your stock harness and on the other end it has a plug that plugs into the bulb that is supposed to be able to withstand the heat. Nokya and other companies also make these where you cut the factory plug off and solder these in. I did this on our older Accord only I used Pulse FX harnesses from Advance as they were fairly cheap. There have also been problems with people melting headlight housings on some cars from the heat from high wattage bulbs. The wiring though is something to watch out for. Some don't have good luck with stock wiring some it seems to hold up fine for but the right way to do it is to upgrade.

That being said I've used lots of different bulbs. I have done write ups with pictures and everything but I don't want to type that all out again so I'll give you the short version.

I tried Eurolite Super Plasmas. They seemed brighter than stock although it could have been that my stock bulbs were old and dim as when I put a stock bulb in one side when one blew out that was new it didn't seem like a huge difference. These were slightly whiter than stock but they didn't really have any color to them. I thought I liked them until one blew out after 2 months or so. I thought maybe I just got a bad one. The other side then blew out shortly aftter. Ok maybe a bad set so I got another set under warranty. Well sure enough it lasted about 2 months. I was getting fed up at this point. I didn't touch the bulbs and the car doesn't blow any other bulbs like this. I ran high beams for about 2 years before one went out and when it did I bought another set since they had lasted and the new set when I got it didn't seem as white or bright. You could see the coating was a lot lighter. I took them out and keep them for spares. I don't know if they changed them or if I just got a odd set the second time with the high beams. Anyway I wouldn't recommend these as the low beams just don't seem to last.

Eurolite Crystals. I tried these in stock wattage and I liked these quite a bit. I was more after color than vision. I wouldn't say they are any brighter than stock but they weren't much worse either it didn't seem. Some of the colored bulbs are worse. These were just a super white with a little blue to them. They weren't pure blue but white with some blue. I liked them a lot and ran them for several months until I took them out and replaced them with Fusions. I then sold these to a friend for cheap and they ran them for a while as far as I know.

Next is Eurolite Fusions. I liked these quite a bit too but overall they seemed just like the Crystals. I did however do a 9005 conversion as these were on my Honda so they might have been a tad brighter but not a ton. I still run these in the high beams on that car. The only reason I went to these is Car domain said they had a higher k temp rating and I wanted a little more blue. Honestly I couldnt' tell a difference from the Crystals color wise but I liked them so kept them for a couple years until one burnt out and now they are harder to find. If you want a mix between color and decent vision I recommend these.

I also on that Honda tried Farenheit bulbs that were the same wattage as stock. Well, honestly I go them in and color wise it was maybe a little whiter than stock but it still had a little yellow to it no blue at all. They did however seem slightly brighter to me when looking at them against a garage door. I liked these but I don't know that it was a huge difference over stock just a little. These to me seem to be similar to how people describe Silverstars. Since I was looking for more color I changed these out after several months and now keep them as spares and have used them a few times when other bulbs went out.

I then tried Nokya Arctic Purples which are whats in the low beams on the Honda now. These are 80watt ones so high wattage ones. When I first put them in I was amazed. They don't seem any brighter than factory and might be a little worse but I could still see okay with them and they looked awesome. They had a pinkish purple look to them from the outside and they just lit up the ground and everything purple. I mean like silver and white cars looked purple. I really liked these for about a week until I guess the purple coating started burning off. Well, after a week or two they got to where they aren't really purple at all just pure white with a hint of purple. Not really any yellow to them just pure white. They look okay now but I wish the purple had lasted. I don't really recommend these as the color didn't last long and they didn't seem quite as good as stock to me.

On my truck I tried a set of Nokya Arctic Whites that said they were 100/120 watts. I didn't like them at all. They seemed way worse than stock. They lit up a pretty nice blue and I just really liked them. The problem however is that they lit up the ground about the same color as the asphalt was it seems. I found myself straining to see with them and when it was raining I really had trouble seeing. I could basically see where my fog lights lit up the ground that were stock but could hardly see past there unless I kept straining. I didn't like these because of this so I took them out and took them back to the store I got them from. I only ran them for a weekend or so. I'm not even sure the nice blue color would have stayed if they are like the Arctic purples. Maybe they would have been easier to see with later I'm not sure. Anyway I didn't really like these.

Then I tried the 80/100watt Farnheits and honestly these are probably the best set of bulbs I've run. These unlike the stock wattage ones have a fair bit of color to them. They are a bright white with a blue tint to them. I love how they look when you first turn them on really blue but after they heat up they seem to be more of just a pure white. The Fusions were like this too. Anyway these seem to be almost as good as factory if not slightly better and look good too. As far as bulbs go I really like these. I've had them for quite a few months probably 6months or so and they still work fine so far. You can see a little yellow in them if you look at the right angle of the headlight when looking straight on but mostly they are blueish or white. It's like a little yellow might shine from the base but it's hard to see. These probably have the most color second to the Nokya's but they actually light up the road to where I can see with them. They look pretty blueish white compared to the fog lights and other cars but if you didn't have normal lights to compare it to right next to it they probably would just look white. They do light up some blue though. I really like these and if I was going with a set of bulbs I'd go with these. They are the best I've used. I have a spare set for the truck and a set waiting for the car for when the Nokya's burn out.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:50 PM
RamItOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too much to read... can you paraphrase that hometheatreman...

Old 05-07-2008, 04:23 PM
red06RAM
All Star

It is still hard to find good bulbs for 2006 and up because they switched bulbs. I have silverstar ultras in the fogs and they are awesome. Regular silverstars in my headlights. I asked Sylvania if they would ever have the ultras for the headlights and they basically said no.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically of thoes I've run the only ones I'd reccomend are the Eurolite Crystals/Fusions or the Farnheits and I like the Faernheits the best. None of them offer a ton better vision than stock they just look a lot better and don't seem to be a lot worse than stock like most aftermarket bulbs are. The Farnheits sometimes I like better than stock sometimes not. HID's are the way to go if you actually want more vision than stock offers. I've read artices saying the PIAA's are worse than stock along with many other bulbs. Thats basically sums up what I wrote.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Dodge4x4magnum
Rookie

thats great guys thanks. im going to look at the silverstars now and see what up with them. and im going to get my foglights some new bulbs too, but i have to have the dealer program my computer for my fog lamps before i can even turn them on. they want 85 freaking bucks for that, but i guess i got to pay

Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 PM
cddailey
Veteran

are the headlights and fog lights easy to change? and where is the best price for the superstars? i think im gonna get the superstars soon.

by the way ramit, i was gonna star a procrastinators support group but ive been putting it off.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Brother Rob
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: RamItOne

ORIGINAL: Brother Rob

I bought some of those and haven't installed them yet. Don't ask me what the hell I'm waiting for.
till the cows come home?

maybe you and hammer can start a procrastinators support group...
We'll get on that...later.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:44 PM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: RamItOne

I bought some of those and haven't installed them yet. Don't ask me what the hell I'm waiting for.
till the cows come home?

maybe you and hammer can start a procrastinators support group...
We'll get on that...later.
Yeah prolly right around the time he finally decides on what cam to go with. LOL.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:40 PM
mmstar23
Champion

what bulbs do the 2006-2008 rams use? i thought the headlights were 9007 and the figs were 9006. but the headlight bulb may have changed, i dont know.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 PM
KrazyBrian
Professional

i love my silverstars

Quick Reply: Brighter headlight bulbs?