3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Insturment panel and electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Pruitt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insturment panel and electrical problems

I have a 2004 Ram 1500, with very annoying electrical problems and I was hoping for some helpful suggestions before I have to sink lots of $$ into repair.

The problem started with the insturment panel. While driving my trunk one day, all the gauges zeroed out, all the warning lights and bells went off, the exterior lights came on and the dash lights went to maximum brightness. Yet the engine was still running with no problems. The odometer gives the "no bus" warning. I checked the fuses and all were fine. Then I spoke with a dodge service manager, and he advised that it was probably a bad connector or ground or a short somewhere.

The odd thing is that it comes and goes. One day it might be just fine, all day longl. Then the next day, it might work for a little while then go bonkers.

Another factor is, that you can not brighten the headlights, the windshield wipers don't work, the A/C doesn't work, the brake lights, turn signals and hazard lights don't work. I have a service manual and have disassembled the dash, checking all the connectors; I've checked all the grounds and everything that I can find.

After this long wind, I was just wondering if anyone had experienced anything like this with their Rams, and if they had, if they have any helpful advise.

Thnks in advance.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:38 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator
Default RE: Insturment panel and electrical problems

that blows. no idea how to help ya there dood.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:05 PM
marv02
Captain

Try finding A ground point on you'r dash insturment panel And add anouther ground wire attach it to another grounding point lets say on the firewall it self and see if fixes it it sounds you mite have a broken wire somewere.

If the truck move around it sounds you are lossing a closed conention if you add the extra wire It should give a closed concention.

I work on Aircaft for a living thats one of the things I don't like about the New type of Aircraft is fly by wire after a while wires go bad and they are hard to find where they ar broken at I know how to find it but still a pain.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Pruitt

BIG UPDATE!

Well, after tracking all the wires, checking them twice and making sure that the circuits were good (hours upon hours of work), I finally admitted defeat and took my truck to the dealer. Come to find out, all of the above problems were caused by a bad $28 ignition switch. BTW - save some $$$ and install it yourself.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:22 AM
XxSilentHawk99xX
Captain

mm thanks for the heads up...Mine is starting to act funny with the electricity...

Quick Reply: Insturment panel and electrical problems