3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

KN Air Filter problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:29 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KN Air Filter problems

i recently installed a full cold air intake that i got off ebay and it came with a kn air filter.this is what i bought- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-DO...3756.m20.l1116 I put everything together just fine and drove around with it yesterday. When i got home, i opened my hood to see how everything was and i saw that my filter that was near the wheel well had come off. it was still in there but had slipped off the pipe.I dont when it came off but im not sure i was suppose to be driving around without one.I know i clamped it down good but to be sure it dont happen again, Does anyone know the best way to keep it on?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:40 PM
UP_Boilermaker
Professional
Default RE: KN Air Filter problems

If the surface the filter is clamping to is rather smooth or slick, just hit it with a little belt dressing. That should tack it up enough so the filter won't slip off again.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:59 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

sheet metal screw through the clamp and air hose. use some sort of silicone or sealant around the screw.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:34 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: xfeejayx

sheet metal screw through the clamp and air hose. use some sort of silicone or sealant around the screw.
i dont think you understood me. Im talking about the actual K&N air filter slipping off the intake pipe, not the intake hose.

Also, will double sided tape work? Im not sure that it will hold since everything under the hood gets hot and might melt it.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:17 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This seems to bea very common thing with the "ebay" CAI's people are buying, you are the 3rd or 4th person who has stated this in the past week or so.
How about a pic so we can see exactly what you are talking about...

Old 05-12-2008, 11:14 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

This seems to bea very common thing with the "ebay" CAI's people are buying, you are the 3rd or 4th person who has stated this in the past week or so.
How about a pic so we can see exactly what you are talking about...
well if you look on the picture from the ebay link i have above, you can see how the pipe curves downward right next to the radiator.the k&n attaches there to pipewith a clamp and hangs downward so that probably explains why it falls off so easy. How do i prevent it from slipping off?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:28 PM
kniner
Professional

I would take the down tube off and scuff the end with a file or sand paper real good. Then for extra clamping use the belt dressing too.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:48 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

hmmm, im gonna think about the belt dressing and sanding but i want to be xtra careful, any other suggestions besides making the pipe have more grip?

Old 05-13-2008, 06:52 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

ORIGINAL: raminator08
the k&n attaches there to pipewith a clamp and hangs downward so that probably explains why it falls off so easy. How do i prevent it from slipping off?
ORIGINAL: xfeejayx
put it through the clamp, or any part of the filter body that goes over or inside the air tube, and through the tube itself. back it out, take off the filter and get the drilled pieces of metal out. replace filter, squirt sealant/silicone where the screw will go (around the hole you already made), then run it down again. and i said sheet metal screw so you don't have to worry about the drilling and such, it'll do it for you. you'd literaly be screwing the filter and air pipe together.

am i misunderstanding how the filter and pipe attach? if so, then we are def going to need a pic, cuz most filters attach the way I'm imagining this one.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Scuff it up and you could also drill a small hole through the clamp for a little "set screw" or two.

Quick Reply: KN Air Filter problems