3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plastic valve covers !!! WTF ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Tractor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic valve covers !!! WTF ???

I put a K&N air filter in the stock airbox today and looked at the valve covers to see how hard it would be to replace the plugs on an 08 vs our 04. It looked like they were plastic !!! I then tapped on it and it sounded like plastic ??? Is this so ???08' PowerWagon.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:39 AM
ivaskaj
Veteran
Default RE: Plastic valve covers !!! WTF ???

They probably are. I know GM uses plastic for the intake on the LS motors. You can thank the government for their outrageous CAFE standards for such drastic weight reduction methods.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 AM
UP_Boilermaker
Professional

Plastic valve covers have been in use for quite a few years now (at least 5... ten possibly). All the automakers, foreign and domestic have been doing it. They ARE lighter and cheaper to manufacture, but damn if they don't break at the corner bolt positions all the time...

Old 05-14-2008, 11:31 AM
SLCHemi
Professional

Wow, wonder when they started that ? I've got an '05 2500 w/the Hemi, and a buddy has an '05 Power Wagon, neither have plastic valve covers....I got used to the idea of plastic intakes, but valve covers seem a little cheesy.....

Quick Reply: Plastic valve covers !!! WTF ???