3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:47 PM
irelandshemi
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold air intake

i searched for the search engine minor stuff but i was wondering what is the main difference between one like this and the k&n aside from the name and a 275$ price difference
thanks

Old 05-23-2008, 10:12 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: cold air intake

A lot of guys have purchase the "ebay" CAIs. Some love 'em, some have had them fall apart almost right away. You pay your money, you take your chances. I think that ANY CAI that has pretty straight through flow and replaces everything straight to the TB and uses a decent filter is gonna give you roughly the same gains. Assuming you don't get a cheapy one that breaks apart and deposits parts into the TB.
I've always used K&N for years, mostly the drop ins, and have always had good results, so I stayed with them for my CAI. Are there better ones on the market? Probably. Are there some that are pure junk? For sure. One thing I look at with ANY mod or replacement part I choose is that it's a $30k + truck, why should I skimp a few dollars on a part that could potentially cause me problems down the road.
But that's just me...

Old 05-24-2008, 02:39 AM
irelandshemi
All Star

true i mean i dont really neeed the gains of the CAI but if i can get one for cheap just to do whatever little it can do i wouldnt mind as logn as its not gunna harm it

Old 05-24-2008, 04:04 PM
nbstriker10
Professional

my opinion is you get what you pay for... i know alot of non-ram drivers who SWEAR by k&n... a buddy of mine who is a master tech says its the best out there as far as overall quality and durability... so if your gonna do it, do it right the first time...

Quick Reply: cold air intake