3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cooked tires affecting 4X4 operation??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005 | 12:56 AM
proxhemi
Default Cooked tires affecting 4X4 operation??

Well like most of you guys i like to show off a lil bit for the girls and the occasional chevy guy and let my tires have at the pavement well now its winter and my tires are kinda gettin bald maybe 5% tread left and when i use 4x4 (electronic switch) it always goes in but when I switch it out it doesnt kick out right away and when it does it makes a huge shudder in the truck simular to running over a log lol.. i knew this cant be good so i went to the dealer when and the guy told me that the 4x4 not kicking out is because of the unever ratio of the rubber ( new fronts - bald rear tires.this is understandable its simular to a polaris atv's 4x4 switch if u put uneven tires on it will not kick out at all or when u want it to. but the thing that has me worried is the shudder like thump i get when it kicks out of 4x4 any idea's guys/gurls?

thanks for any help
Dan ps i cant really afford new rubber to see if thats the real problem

Old 01-16-2005 | 01:07 PM
mill500
Veteran
Default RE: Cooked tires affecting 4X4 operation??

I've never heard of or experienced anything like it on mine. Definately doesn't sound normal. Back to the original point, I guess you must be driving it like you stole it if you have bald tires on an 04 already...

Old 01-16-2005 | 04:38 PM
proxhemi

Yea Im pretty young 20 and i took my step dads lil project truck to the local track to see what it would run and we pulled it with my truck, he's a chevy guy im a dodge guy so he wanted to see what my dodge would run so i ran her and after we ran a couple times we got a father-son burnout picture done by sum photographer and yea he claimed he would buy me new tires if i ran them as long as he could so yea there went 3/4 of the tread in one day.Then after that i just didnt care cause they were pretty much screwed anyways. hey at least i was racing legally

Old 01-16-2005 | 07:05 PM
Red Ram Hemi 2005
Professional

I would ask for a second opinion.

Quick Reply: Cooked tires affecting 4X4 operation??