3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear end noise/leaking HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 PM
yzracer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end noise/leaking HELP!!

Ok i dont know the first thing about rear ends but im pretty good ar fixing things on vehicles.So i have an 04 ram 1500,my problem is that where the drive shaft and the rear end meet there is oil splattered all around the undercariage and only in this area,also it makes a grinding noise kinda like when you need front wheel bearings.I was told i might need pinion seal and bearings.Is this a project i can handle or is it a priccy dealer problem?Please help.Any info will help.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:16 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Rear end noise/leaking HELP!!

Fairly involved repair for an all too common problem. However, it's drivetrain and the '04s still had the 7/70 drivetrain warranty. You should be covered...

Old 05-27-2008, 11:10 PM
yzracer

Thanks for the response but unfortunetly i use my truck for work which involves alot of travel an i have 91000 miles so i guess this is coming out of pocket.Yippyy!!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:32 PM
yzracer

I was looking at some diagrams and it looks like it can be fix from the front of rear end without digging into the rear end gears.Is this true or am i S)&t out of luck?

Quick Reply: Rear end noise/leaking HELP!!