3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0571

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 04:28 PM
dbmowersports
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0571

Hello Everyone,

I need somehelp on how to proceed with this code. I know what it is...Cruise/Brake switchA performance or something like that, but I'm not sure what it actually means. There is no CEL illuminated, I just did the diagnostic sequence for fun. When I disconnect the battery, it clears the code until I drive. It then comes right back. I searched everywhere andhaven't found a remedy for it. Any help would be great. Oh, I did have that issue where it stalls. It onlydid it once. Possibly related? Thanks guys.

Jason

Old 05-30-2008, 04:41 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional
Default RE: P0571

this is directly from alldata.
P0571-BRAKE SWITCH 1 PERFORMANCE

P0571 - Brake Switch 1 Performance

Theory of Operation
The brake switch rationality checks both failure modes of the brake switch. The brake switch stuck on test checks for a high vehicle speed condition where the brake switch is unexpectedly depressed. The brake switch stuck off test checks for repeated vehicle stop maneuvers without the brake switch depressed.

WHEN MONITORED
Ignition on.

SET CONDITION
If the output of Brake Switch No.1 to the PCM looks like it is not applied, while Brake Lamp Switch Output circuit is applied the fault will mature in 60ms . Two Trip Fault.

POSSIBLE CAUSES [*](B29) Brake switch no.1 signal shorted to ground[*](V32) Brake switch no.2 signal circuit open[*](V32) Brake switch no.2 signal circuit shorted to ground[*](Z429) Ground circuit open[*]Stop lamp switch[*]PCM[/ul]Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

Diagnostic Test

1. ACTIVE DTC
NOTE:[*]Make sure the Stop Lamp Switch is properly adjusted before continuing.[*]Make sure the Stop Lamp Switch is properly wired, such as (B29) Brake Switch No.1 and (L50) Brake Lamp Switch Output circuit are not switched at the harness connector.[/ul]Ignition on, engine not running.
With a scan tool, read DTCs.

Q: Is the DTC active at this time?

YES: Go To 2
NO: Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Diagnostic Procedure. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test

2. (B29) BRAKE SWITCH NO.1 SIGNAL SHORTED TO GROUND
Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the Stop Lamp Switch harness connector.
Disconnect the C3 PCM harness connector.
Measure the resistance between ground and the (B29) Brake Switch No.1 Signal circuit in the Stop Lamp Switch harness connector.

Q: Is the resistance below 100 ohms?

YES: Repair the short to ground in the (B29) Brake Switch No.1 Signal circuit. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test
NO: Go To 3

3. (V32) BRAKE SWITCH NO.2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN

CAUTION: Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting in poor terminal to pin connection. Install Miller Special Tool #8815 to perform diagnosis.

Measure the resistance of the (V32) Brake Switch No.2 Signal circuit from the Stop Lamp Switch harness connector to the appropriate terminal of special tool #8815.

Q: Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

YES: Go To 4
NO: Repair the open in the (V32) Brake Switch No.2 Signal circuit. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test

4. (V32) BRAKE SWITCH NO.2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
Measure the resistance between ground and the (V32) Brake Switch No.2 Signal circuit in the Stop Lamp Switch harness connector.

Q: Is the resistance below 100 ohms?

YES: Repair the short to ground in the (V32) Brake Switch No.2 Signal circuit. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test
NO: Go To 5

5. (Z429) GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
Measure the resistance between ground and the (Z429) Ground circuit in the Stop Lamp Switch harness connector.

Q: Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

YES: Go To 6
NO: Repair the open in the (Z429) Ground circuit. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test

6. STOP LAMP SWITCH
Measure the resistance between the (Z429) Ground circuit terminal and the (B29) Brake Switch No.1 Signal terminal in the Stop Lamp Switch.
Next, measure the resistance between the (V30) Fused Ignition Switch circuit terminal and the (V32) Brake Switch No.2 Signal circuit terminal in the Stop Lamp Switch.
Apply and release the brake pedal while monitoring the ohmmeter. Q: Does the resistance change from below 5.0 ohms to an open circuit for one or both of the measurements taken?

YES: Go To 7
NO: Replace the Stop Lamp Switch. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test

7. PCM NOTE: Before continuing, check the PCM harness connector terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Repair as necessary.

Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wire harness and connectors. Pay particular attention to all Power and Ground circuits.

Q: Were there any problems found?

YES: Repair as necessary. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test
NO: Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module per Service Information. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test

Old 05-30-2008, 04:53 PM
dbmowersports
Rookie

WOW!! Thank you very much, I'll Test it all out..

Jason

Old 05-30-2008, 05:21 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional

i can get u pictures of the connectors if you need them it will just be a lil bit b4 i can get them so let me know if u need them!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:07 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do not have a light on, yet the code is stored, I would clear it. The code may be old and the issue may no longer exist.

Easiest way to clear the code is to use a scanning tool and just disconnect the battery for a few minutes.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:57 PM
dbmowersports
Rookie

BlueRam,

If you could give me that information it would be a great help. I really appreciate it!!!

94rt10ohio

I cleared the code the other day, took it for a ride, and it came back up. I am surprised it does not throw aCEL. I would think that should be important enough to get someone's attention. Thanks for your help guys.

Jason

Quick Reply: P0571