3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New muffler, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 02:18 AM
UP_Boilermaker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New muffler, need advice

Hey guys, I just scored a Magnaflow PN14867 on eBay for a little over $50. 14" long 5" Dia. Round case, 3" in/out.

What's going to be my best bet for putting this thing on my truck?

1. Direct replacement of stocker, leaving everything else alone (resonator(s), stock tailpipe, etc.)

2. Removal of the resonators & dumping the tailpipe in front of the pass. side rear wheel.

3. Any other suggestions???

I'm looking for performance/fuel economy improval more than sound quality. I dig the louder sound, but that's secondary. Money's also a factor here. I'd love to run a dual outlet setup all the way to the back, or even true duals, but that just isn't in the cards right now.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:39 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Default RE: New muffler, need advice

i vote for #2. that will be super easy, and super cheap.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Sgt SF

Option 2 sounds good to me too. Let us know when you get'er done and how it turns out. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:04 AM
opposite locker
Rookie

I would expect options 1 & 2to have the same effect on performance & mpg. After all, the entire exhaust (except the stock muffler, which oddly has smaller inlet & outlet pipes) is 3" in diameter, which is plenty of flow for a 310hp v8. If you want louder, go with # 2. I went with # 1 and a different, larger Magnaflow - forget the part #, but it was an oval SI/SO 3" muffler that was essentially the same length as the stock muffler.

I'm pleased with the mpg & power increase, but the sound is a bit louder than I'd like...but it's definitely tolerable.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Bucky
Rookie

Dump it.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:05 AM
UP_Boilermaker
Professional

OK, got the muffler installed.

Turns out the guy that I bought it from on eBay owns a shop that specializes in custom exhaust. (He had a brand new Saleen S281 on one of his lifts when I got there)

He was more than happy to do the dump in the front if I wanted, but suggested I keep the stock tailpipe & just have him lop off the necked down 2 1/2" section to make the entire exhaust 3". I love the result! Sounds great, he fixed the tailpipe angle so it doesn't look like it's falling down anymore (what the hell was the factory thinking there??), and I noticed a few mpg increase on the headliner's lie-o-meter. I'm interested in seeing what the actual increase is after I top off the tank & do the math after driving it like this for a while.

Quick Reply: New muffler, need advice