3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Very Strange Noise...(like you haven't heard that before...)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:55 PM
KKYW Ram 7
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Strange Noise...(like you haven't heard that before...)

Hey guys, I think I've got a good one for you all. So I picked up the truck maybe six-hundred miles ago, and this noise started on the way home. It only happens at slow speeds, and only at a certain angle of wheelturn. For example, when im backing out of the driveway, or making a slow turn at an intersection. It sounds almost like wheel rub, or somthing isnt greased properly. I can't exactly pinpoint the sound it makes. Its comming from the driverside front wheel area only. If I turn the wheel quickly, you can barely notice it. I can also turn the wheel further, so I know it's not wheel rub,in addition,they are stock size tires. It is a 2003 Ram Quad Cab Hemi. Thanks alot for any imput!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:35 PM
occ3377
Rookie
Default RE: Very Strange Noise...(like you haven't heard that before...)

i know my 04 had a power steering leak (like all 02-05 have) that made a noise somewhat like what your explaining, so do you know if a hose clamp has been replaced on yours and/or have you checked your power steering fluid level?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:51 PM
KKYW Ram 7
Rookie

That thought hadn't even crossed my mind! I will have to check that first thing tomarrow morning! I've been observing this forum for so long, I just got nervous it would be somthing larger than that such as the ball joints, or worse. Thanks for the tip! The car came with a "car fax" report, if you can call it that. All the report had listed was the purchase of the vehicle, no service records what-so-ever. But thank you, ill be sure to check that!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 PM
occ3377
Rookie

dont forget to post up results!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:57 PM
KKYW Ram 7
Rookie
Default RE: Very Strange Noise...(like you haven’t heard that before...)

Hello again! Checked the steering fluid level on the way out the door this morning and the resvoir was full..Im in West Virginia for a few days, but any other suggestions to try when I get back would be much appreciated!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 PM
suckmyhemi07
Rookie
Default RE: Very Strange Noise...(like you haven&\\;rsquo\\;t heard that before...)

i might have the same sound that ur describing...but mine is because i have the torsion bars cranked to level out my front end and my tires sit in at a wierd angle as a result

Old 06-04-2008, 08:00 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran
Default RE: Very Strange Noise...(like you haven&\\;rsquo\\;t heard that before...)

jack the front of the truck up and spin the wheel when it's turned to the same angle that it makes noise at. see if you can pinpoint where the noise is comming from. Could be a number of things. It may not even do it when there is no weight on the truck though.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:09 PM
KKYW Ram 7
Rookie

Im fairly sure it is not due to the torsion bar, because the truck doesnt seem level, so I doubt it was cranked. The truck does have 90,000 miles on it, however. I will be sure to try to jack the truck up when I get back, Thanks for that piece of advice!

Quick Reply: Very Strange Noise...(like you haven't heard that before...)