3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Relationship of 4WD to anti-spin

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 12:07 PM
2005DodgeRamDad
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Relationship of 4WD to anti-spin

This may be a obvious answer question for some but I was curious of the operation of 4WD. My previous trucks have all been 2WD with an anti-spin differential.
My current truck is 4WD and does not have an anti-spin option... so when I back from the street into the driveway ( a 90 degree turn), one rear wheel spins.
I understand that as it does not have an anti spin rear.
So... when I do need 4WD traction... say in sand or snow, does the front differential have the same characteristics?
Shouldn't a optimal 4WD have anti-spin both from and rear? Or do you end up with one front and one back wheel that spins?

Old 06-07-2008, 02:16 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Relationship of 4WD to anti-spin

Yes, a truck with 4wd can turn into one wheel drive in the front and back without an LSD.

You don't find a limited slip in the front because the steering differences are more than it woudl allow in a straight line. Some people have an air locker in the front that they can manually engage when needed.

Quick Reply: Relationship of 4WD to anti-spin