3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Metallic 'Ping' sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 AM
04HemiOwnerMiami
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metallic 'Ping' sound

Hello Everyone. My '04 has started to make a metallic 'ping' sound when I start the engine and for a few minutes after I shut the vehicle down. The truck runs fine otherwise but I don't know what this noise could be or if I should be concerned. Any ideas? The truck has about 71,000 miles and is in excellent condition.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:24 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Metallic 'Ping' sound

hh

Old 06-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The infamous hemi click, it has something to do with the valve train, but I don't believe it's too serious, I could be wrong though.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:11 AM
FtpHemi

My truck does the same thing and i have around 90,000 mi. It ticks or clicks or what ever u want to call it but it does not affect my performance well thats how it feels. I heard in some cases it is bad. I once heard of a valve falling in the cc. Correct me if im wrong but thats what i heard. I personaly dont care if it falls in. I still run it real real hard if it messes up my engine in the long run its just a better reason to put in a 6.1 hemi to replace thattired 5.7 hemi. But no matter what got to love that hemi and its power.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:02 PM
dodgefirefighter

i've had 2 rams with a hemi that did the exact same thing. about 4 different service people told me that most all hemis do it, especially if you have a higher flow exhaust. they said that it's normal and that neither truck required any work. i have an extended warranty just in case though. and if in fact you hear that sound after you've turned the truck off, is that not the catalytic converter guts? i think they make noise on most vehicles when they're hot. you can only hear it when the engine is shut off though.

Quick Reply: Metallic 'Ping' sound