3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CB- dual whips or single?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008 | 01:59 PM
94Ramsey
Professional
Default RE: CB- dual whips or single?

wow dident know some cb's were illeagle. why is that? just cuz your in wisconsin dosent mean you cant have a friendly conversation with flordia lol. i had a couple cobras and i liked them and a couple 5ft wilson whips. but sold it all. cb's are becomming less used accept for ch19.

Old 06-23-2008 | 05:50 PM
Hemipwr07
|
Veteran

ya why is that? thats what everyone keeps telling me..that i wont use it..but i think they are cool so everyone else can shush. but why is it illegal to have a big power one?

Old 06-28-2008 | 10:39 PM
Earp175

KC9JVC-Good scoop! But truckers use "Dual" antennas for co-phasing. It doesn't help so much with the CB Band as much as it does with SSB(Side Band). SSB has "more" channels, not really, it just uses upper and lower freq's. I am a Tech Controller/ Radio Tech/ Sat Operator/ IT/ MUXTER, I luv the Corps and all the training I get.

CB's, in general, ARE NOT illegal, however, "Super Tuning", "Tuning and Peaking", using a Linear with a CB is. You can legally use a linear with an SSB radio.

I use my Radio and Amp every day to and from work here in NC. I also use it driving to my parents home in Central FL(Geneva) and my in-laws home in NW AL(Tuscumbia). I find that it keeps me awake at 0430 and lets me know where the county mounties are running radar every morning.

If you do decide to Co-Phase, make sure your Antenna tips/tops are AT LEAST 8ft apart from each other.

Old 06-29-2008 | 08:21 AM
KC9JVC
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Earp175
CB's, in general, ARE NOT illegal, however, "Super Tuning", "Tuning and Peaking", using a Linear with a CB is. You can legally use a linear with an SSB radio.
Actually you will find that Linear Amplifiers are illegal as well as they have to be modified Amateur Radio Equipment (there are not amps that are made for CB.) As as far as linear on SSB, you are somewhat correct when you say that you can use more power, you can use 12 watts PEP, which would be 4 watts x3...your upper SSB, carrier and Lower SSB are compressed into whatever SSB you are using which gives you your 12 watts PEP

Quick Reply: CB- dual whips or single?