3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lets talk about a cam....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Romeosoldier03
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk about a cam....

I just had my headers and y pipe put on.....now Im thinking bout a mild cam nothing crazy...just enough for lil more torque......this is my setup as of now.....06 1500 4x4, hemi w/MDS, bullydog programmer, pacesetter lt's and y pipe, 2 magnaflow HI FLOW cats, 4.56's.....just the basics i suppose....oh and a CAI....and a power wire...geez sorry keep forgettn stuff.....ummm so yeah like I said Im lookin for a little more torque...thanks.....I have no clue about cams....or how much it takes to install...money or time...LOL...thanks

Old 06-22-2008, 05:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Lets talk about a cam....

Your choices will be a little limited because of the MDS, but you can still get away with a nice cam with some decent torque gains. The issue is, you should do springs, retainers & rods at the same time. Although not necessary, a nice damper would also fit the bill here. This would probably put the cost near the $2000 mark if you were to pay for labor. Plus, you really need a custom tune to tie it in and get the full benefit. You could easily be near $3000 when all is said & done.

When I do it, I'm going to do it once & do itright. Which is why I have not done it yet, with all my families health issues and my relocating to try to help them, it may be a while before I get the cam done.Especially since I plan to pay for this mod, since I've never gone that deep myself. It'll only be the second thing I've paid labor for (gears being the first) but I have no desire to blow my engine because I don't know what I'm doing...

Old 06-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Romeosoldier03
Veteran

thanks....wow..that's alot of crap.....I think I'll start pulling the parts together slowly with each paycheck........what is this custom tune??? i know what it is but who does them??? i keep seeing "SCT" on people's mods' just dont know what it is...

Old 06-22-2008, 11:03 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

if you're just looking for a little bump, you could get away with just putting in a 6.1L hemi cam. you don't even really need the springs for that one, and itll give you a modest kick in torque and hp. it's less than 1/2 the price of other cams too.

welcome back hammer!

Old 06-22-2008, 11:03 PM
mmstar23
Champion

SCT is a programmer. works great, my dad uses it int he f-350 6.0 powerstroke

Old 06-22-2008, 11:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Xfee is almost 100% right, ALMOST. The 6.1 will run by itself, although the step up to the beefier 6.1 springs are recommended. Peak HP will have a nice little bump, but the low end torque will suffer a good hit.
It's a great cam for a RCSB 4x2 Hemi for the street and strip, but a poor choice for a heavier QC and especially a 4x4.
IMO your better off doing what I'm doing. Save the $ for a good torque cam like the Comp 260 or better yet the KRC 210 or for an MDS Hemi the 206LX is a good choice. Replace all the weaker components and have an engine that can handle the 400+ HP you'll be making at the engine with all your current mods added to the right cam. I'll be there in another six months or so, I've just taken a hell of a financial hit lately and don't have the disposable income to finish my truck right now.

And the SCT is gonna be the way to go, it's a tuner much like the Superchips Flashpaq, except it can hold custom tunes written either for your list of mods or from information gathered directly off the dyno. Plus, unlike Superchips, SCT is not going for CARB compliance, so they are free to be much more aggressive with their tunes...

Oh and Xfee, thanks for the welcome back. Should be around a good bit for the next 10 days or so, then I'm off for NY for three weeks.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:26 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

really, the 6.1 costs you low end torque? damnit, there goes that option.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: xfeejayx

really, the 6.1 costs you low end torque? damnit, there goes that option.
Yup, it was a hot topic on the forums a couple of years ago when a lot of truck guys went to one. I know a lot of heavier (4x4) owners that took them out because they were really unhappy with the low end. Most went to Comp 260's and a few to KRC 210's. I even know a couple who put the old 5.7 cam back in...

I've driven an '05 with the KRC 210 and at low RPM's I was very impressed. Now I've only heard about the custom 4 degree advanced grind on it (that's what I'm getting) and have been told by a guy who has it that you'd swear you were driving a CTD if you didn't know better. So I can only imagine the torque in that beast.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:32 AM
killerbud420
Veteran

well damn that sucks im just getting my truck back on monday an its going to be slower after paying for the 6.1 cam trying to make it faster

Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

It'll have a little more top end speed, what you'll lose is a bit of low end grunt...

Quick Reply: Lets talk about a cam....