3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gear oil.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Coastie Kyle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear oil.

What type and how much are you useing? I am new to the Dodge, just traded in my Yukon which I did all my fluids on, and now I need to start over. Im planing on picking up a Hanes manual to help me out in the future. But right now I need a little help with the numbers so I can get going on this today. BTW I have a 05 QC 1500 with the 4.7. Thanks for any info.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:24 AM
RamItOne
Default RE: Gear oil.

hey no manuals yet, chilton stops at like 01 I think.

4 pints roughly. Should be half inch below fill hole.

Amsoil severe gear 75-140

Youll need a cheapo hand pump to pump it in. Google your city and amsoil and youll find a list of vendors in your area.
Dodge says to do every 15k miles, only because their LSD models have clutch pack retaining clips that may fall and get chewed up in the teeth. I have the LSD and put in amsoil and won't change again for 100k miles. Now if you go through water that's above your diff breather for a few minutes you may need to change out the fluid.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Coastie Kyle
Default RE: Gear oil.

Good info. The store in town has Amsoil. Hanes has a book out for 02-05 models, but Im pritty sure their change intervals for the fluids is a little off. They say 75K for gear oils, which is really high..... But cool, Im gonna get this bad boy changed out.

Quick Reply: Gear oil.