3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What about Hydrogen generator (HHO generator)????

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What about Hydrogen generator (HHO generator)????

i know everyone wants to try it, but it really wont work...dont waste your time...now your lawnmower MIGHT get help because it has a carb, but if you have EFI then it will not help at all.....im not saying it wont run, just that you will see no improvement

my uncle i was talking about showed me everything in his truck, and he is a professional at that...its just a scam

Old 08-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Waterboy
Default HHO Generator results

Hey guys,

I'll be the first to admit that I am pretty skeptical, but... well, you should read this information... I have become convinced enough that this will work and provide significant MPG increases (50% or more) that I am going to try it. I agree that it will require a bit of tinkering to the on-board computer, but I think it can be done. Stay tuned, and in the mean time, check out the info on this site. You might be as suprised as I was...

http://www.mindstrain.com

ciao!

Old 08-07-2008, 05:52 PM
nomolos1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Matt99
i know everyone wants to try it, but it really wont work...dont waste your time...now your lawnmower MIGHT get help because it has a carb, but if you have EFI then it will not help at all.....im not saying it wont run, just that you will see no improvement

my uncle i was talking about showed me everything in his truck, and he is a professional at that...its just a scam
You are 100% wrong. Your uncle didn't know what the hell he was doing. It is very simple.
As far as the EFI, if you don't have a way of telling the ECU that the vehicle isn't running lean, it will add more fuel to the injection.
You would have to monitor the O2 with a wide-band or a voltage meter,(the kind the electricians use) during cruising speeds. Make sure that sencer is working properly Once you know that, you can install a gadget the you can buy a Radio Shack.....What ever the volume **** switch is called. Then you would set that to what it was or a little less voltage than what it was, during the cruise speeds.

This way, you are tell the ECU that everything is normal. Now the hydrogen does some pretty cool stuff. It brings you octane level up to race gas levels, (87 to over 100) during cruise speeds. The gas will NOT be like that during the time you are building speed. These systems are supplements NOT substitutes. Another cool thing is that after the introduction of the gas...(that little roughness, for a few seconds) you will have less carbon out put, because of the complete burn. Your oil will stay cleaner, longer. The by product will be water out the tail pipe.
A couple of not so cool thing is the exhaust pipe may corrode if they are not stainless steel, so will the valves. So you can replace those with SS parts.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:42 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, let's see... I know I talked bad about this earlier in this post, but this thread has some age on it, and I have since decided to try it out on my Ram. The increase of mileage is significant on the highway, and it's there for combined and city driving also, just not that much....

Mileage before HHO modifications:
13-City / 15-Combined / 19-Highway

Mileage after HHO:
15-City / 18-Combined / 25-Highway

So about a 30% increase on the highway (156 extra miles per tank), and that's just using O2 extenders on my O2 sensors, I received my EFIE/MAP unit today and will be installing that in the rig tomorrow. Hoping to see some more mileage around town, although I'm not really expecting too much, you're still having to bring a 6k lb vehicle up to speed from a dead stop, you're going to use some gas doing that with whatever device you put on it...

A Shot of the Setup

And a shot of my control box

Old 08-07-2008, 09:30 PM
CiscoH20
Thumbs up

I have on on my 04 Dodge Ram Quad Cab about one month now and I have seen a difference. I had a unit installed so as to let the computer know that the gas its burning is right and not to adjust anything. It does work and I do want to know what might be any long trem effects. All I know I am not filling up my tank as often and that is all I care about.

I know it is a big truck and it takes alot to move it but when you are moving your gas mileage does get better.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Johnboy7701
Rookie

bwhite757 how much did it all cost you?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:31 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I would've built it myself, I priced the design around $80, however I bought it already built to save some time for myself, and I got it for $140. I also bought a MAP/EFIE enhancer for $150 that I will be putting on tomorrow. I figure if the enhancer doesn't get me decent gains, there are plenty of people buying these on eBay I can sell it off to...

Old 08-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Matt99
Champion

I am still very skeptical about this...honestly, if Dodge marketed this in their trucks, they could gain the truck market without doubt....They put millions into the MDS research and development to gain 2-4mpg but could fix this for $50 a truck? There has to be a drawback that we arnt seeing...I hope its not gonna cost a new HEMI

Old 08-08-2008, 01:17 AM
jkitarogers
Default Hydrogen generator

It would be very interesting to see a step by step build on one of these units, I have been very interested in this technology, just havent been in contact with anyone who has it working, how hard was the install, and what type of tech does it take to work with the computer, and where can we buy this stuff at?

Old 08-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Painless

Originally Posted by jkitarogers
It would be very interesting to see a step by step build on one of these units, I have been very interested in this technology, just havent been in contact with anyone who has it working, how hard was the install, and what type of tech does it take to work with the computer, and where can we buy this stuff at?
I've been researching HHO myself for a few months now and working on building a generator of my own as finances allow. I have a 2006 1500 QC 4x4 with the 4.7 v8.

If you want to see some plans, I would recommend starting by going through the smacks booster instructions, you can get this in PDF form here:

http://free-energy-info.co.uk/Smack.pdf

The smacks booster does work, but you will need something bigger for a Ram.

I've just read through this entire thread and understand that a few of you are citing HHO as a scam, I don't blame you, unfortunately, the majority of people selling pre-made HHO units or kits are scammers, their units produce the gas but nowhere near the amount needed for gains.

To get MPG gains you will need to a generator producing enough gas, I would say at least 2lpm or more for a v8 Ram.

You will also need to be prepared to work with your ECU, after a while it will learn and dump more fuel into the injectors (because it is seeing a much higher o2 level in the exhaust) and offset your gains. You can use EFIE's for this, or even simpler, build a box that adds a small amount of voltage to the existing o2 signal.

One long term benefit of HHO is that it will clean out carbon deposits from your engine, the only way you will damage your engine is if in playing with the o2 sensor signal you lean the mixture too much, causing higher combustion temps or you take shortcuts and end up drawing electrolyte into your system.

If you're still interested I would encourage you to visit the forum that I frequent, it is full of some very knowledgeable people getting great results, all too eager to share information and answer questions:

http://www.hhoforums.com/

Russ.

Last edited by Painless; 08-10-2008 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: What about Hydrogen generator (HHO generator)????