3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7L dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Squirrel508
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7L dies

my truck dies out before it is warmed up.it died the other day when i was turning and pressing on the gas from a stop. then it did it when i was barely moving and my foot was barely on the gas. i put the stock intake and exhaust back on the truck and still no change please help

Old 07-15-2008, 07:26 AM
sos
All Star
Default RE: 4.7L dies

I would have someone check your fuel pump (or the filter, which is the same assembly anyway). Sounds like you are not getting enough fuel to the engine. The fuel pump went on my old Dakota within the first 2-3 years, and I had the 4.7L engine. They fixed it under warranty and I never had a problem with the fuel pump again.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Squirrel508
Rookie

well it is out of warranty wonder how much it would cost for me to do it myself or is that considered powertrain warranty? last time they said it was the crankshaft sensor and they fixed it but it never stopped... i was thinking maybe wires and plugs? or something with the intake because it does it once in a blue moon and only when cold... i would think the fuel pump it would do it cold or hot right?

Old 07-15-2008, 10:48 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Check the fuel pressure first, there should be a shrader valve on the fuel rail...if there's not then dodge's cheap *** should've put oneon there. Otherwise you'll have to do it old school and put the tester in the fuel line. The good news is a fuel pump on a truck is easy as **** to change....unbolt the bed and have some buddies help you pull it off. The pump will be in the fuek tank through the top...it'll have at least one wiring harness and some fuel lines going to it. You can rent the fuel pressure tester for free at autozone...or buy one.

It could also be a lot of things...just so you know i'm nt too familiar with the 4.7 so take what I say with a grain of salt. If it was me i'd try removing andcleaning the throttle body...if your throttle body has a IAC and TPS i'd replace the TPS(cheap part)and clean the IAC. Don't push the pindle in or pull on it...just clean it. Keep the EGR in mind also..

Quick Reply: 4.7L dies