3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Synthetic/NGK/Diff Cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008 | 10:56 PM
Squirrel508
|
Rookie
Default Synthetic/NGK/Diff Cover

Ok since 5K miles i have been running mobil 1 5w-30 in the motor at 7500 miles i change the filter and add a quart and at 15000 i dump all the oil and add another filter..... I am at 40700miles now and I did not realize you needed to change the plugs every 30k so i changed them out added dielectric and anti-sieze on ngk iriduims, those champions were worn down so much the gap was .050+..lol at advance auto the comp said change the tranny fluid every 30K miles is this correct? i also was thinking of changing the diff even though it says 45K...

1. Would i see any benifit of royal purple in the diff and trannyas opposedtomobil 1?
2. Has anyone tried the iridiums in the 4.7L do you think i could squeeze 40k out of them no problem how do they perform?
3. Does anyone offer a cheap(er) plain steel differential cover that has and fill and drain hole?
4. What can I do to clean the TB, is it dirty because of the K&N?
5. How often do I need to change the sensors in the TB? Prices?

Thanks in Advance

Old 07-18-2008 | 10:22 AM
Squirrel508
|
Rookie
Default RE: Synthetic/NGK/Diff Cover

bump

Old 07-18-2008 | 07:42 PM
UP_Boilermaker
Professional

1. Diff, yes... Trans fluid, I don't think so, as the factory ATF+4 is 100% synthetic already.

2. With the Hemi, all signs point to using the stock copper champions above all others. Seeing as the 4.7's combustion chamber design is only very slightly away from being a hemi itself, I would believe that the same would hold true.

3. If all you want is a drain plug for it, you can just add this to your stocker: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

4. The K&N should be keeping the TB cleaner than the stock setup is capable of, if it's installed & maintained correctly. Carb & choke cleaner from teh auto parts store should do the job just fine.

5. Unless the sensor completely fails, you can just clean it & continue using it. See here for instructions: https://dodgeforum.com/m_1059609/tm.htm

Old 07-18-2008 | 09:35 PM
Squirrel508
|
Rookie

thanks for all the input i switched to ngk iriduim ill let yall know if i see more mpg since it is hotter.... that kit from summit is for an auto tranny i dont know if it will work on the diff since it is curved... how do yall find out if the diff and tranny fluid is synthetic?

Quick Reply: Synthetic/NGK/Diff Cover