3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone hardwired a radar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 12:40 PM
newram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone hardwired a radar?

I want to hardwire my radar detector to the rearview mirror of my 04 dodge ram 1500 and would like to tap into the overhead console. Not sure how to take down the console and do not want to break anything. Has anyone done this or hardwired their radar another way? Thanks for your input in advance.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:15 PM
mazz
Veteran
Default RE: Anyone hardwired a radar?

I hard wired my Bel Vector using the power source from the overhead unit. To remove the overhead unit, carefully pry the two lenses and remove them. Underneath, you will find two screws. Loosen and remove. From there, I just slid the unit toward the rear of the truck to disengage the front clip. Some units may have a third screw.

I drilled a hole in the front edge of the plastic and mounted an RCA jack (female). Fused the power lead from the jack and tapped into a power line in the overhead harness. In my case, the wire was black with a pink stripe. Ran a round lead from the jack to sheetmetal in the headliner.

Put everything back together, made a special cord for the Bel that had a mating RCA jack (male) and I was good to go.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:59 AM
newram
Default RE: Anyone hardwired a radar?

Hey Mazz,

just want to say thank you very much. Your reply was very helpful and I am going to install mine the same exact way. The RCA connectors are a super classy idea. Nice and clean. I was reading another reply you had on the site where you mentioned the ram air for maybe another mile per gallon saved in fuel consumption. Is this fairly easy to install? Anyway , thanks again.

Quick Reply: Anyone hardwired a radar?