3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP Alarm System Going Haywire

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 05:58 PM
ILOVEMYDOGE03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Alarm System Going Haywire

I bought a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7L in it, anyways I had the truck shipped to me. When I got it the gauge clusters were missing. So I went out and bought a used set. After I installed them, they worked fine, until I had to replace the battery. After the new battery got replaced, whenever I turn on the ignition the alarm goes off and wont shut up until I disconnect the battery. When I reconnect the battery nothing happens until I start the truck again. I even tried setting the alarm off on purpose, it wont go off unless I try starting it. The funny thing is the truck still starts. I called the dealer and gave them my Vin and It does have key less entry and a factory alarm. So anyone out there now the answer to this one. Please Help.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:42 PM
froto'sride
Professional

I wish i had the answer but I actually share the problem. I'm not sure if when I went out to sea and disconected the batt. or when I was working on putting the electric fan in it and disconnected the batt but i have the same problem. As long as I do not disconnect the battery the alarm will not go off. However if I leave the window rolled down and reach in unlock the door and open it nothing happens. I have tried re setting it and un plugging every thing and i havn't figured it out either.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:47 PM
froto'sride
Professional

Does your alarm turn off when you hold he reset button in with the ignition on? That's the only way I got mine to shut off, without disconnecting the battery.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:44 AM
ILOVEMYDOGE03

Well, actually I don't have a factory remote, it got lost. But usually you can turn the alarm off with the key, by either unlocking the vehicle or turning on the ignition. Well I called the dealer and the alarm system is built in to the computer. Everything is linked together in these things.

Hey Froto'Sride when you start your truck does the alarm go off? And does your little red light stay on?

Old 09-18-2008, 12:51 AM
ILOVEMYDOGE03

The Reset button? Where exactly is that?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:18 AM
froto'sride
Professional

first of all you can't turn the alarm off with the key by unlocking or turning the ignition on because these keys d not have anykind of computer chips in them as say a mercedes would. Anyway the reset button... lay on your back in the drivers floor board. behind the parking brake you will see a huge wire loom with a big white connector leading to the engine bay. behind that will be a little black box about 4"x6". from that box there will be a solid brown and a solid black wire twisted together. follow those wires and you will find a small black button kind of hidden. turn the ignition on but don't start the truck. As soon as you do press and hold the button until the horn stops. this will stop that little problem however now you are in my boat. My remote works (not that you have one) but the actual alarm doesn't sound unless i press the panic button.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 AM
froto'sride
Professional

did the dealer give you any other information about maybe why the alarm is messing up...the alarm isn't as built into the computer as the dealer may have made it sound. since you do not have a remote it will not hurt you to just remove the whole thing completly. All you have to do is match the wires that were cut and spliced in to and re connect the factory harness.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:24 AM
froto'sride
Professional

they are all color coded

Old 10-27-2008, 04:50 PM
coke_craig@hotmail.com

help help help, okay 2003 dodge dakota...truck went dead, knew it was time to replace battery,,,good ole dad came over while I was at work and tried to jump,,,he tried several times no luck, as he was taking jump cables off alarm went off...I dont have the keyless thingy,,got lost...anyhow I got home and we tried again, no luck jumping but alarm going strong...bought new battery put it in truck still wont start, but alarm going off...any suggestions

Old 10-31-2008, 04:31 PM
froto'sride
Professional

just learned this today...most of the car alarms have to be reprogrammed when the battery is disconnected. Is that the problem i am not sure but i am not going to pay 50 some odd dollars just to have someone look at my truck and tell me something is wrong with my alarm. However COKE if you locate the restart that will atleast silence the alarm until u take the battery off again. just remember to turn the ignition on..don't start it jusat turn the key all the way forward and hold the reset for bout ten seconds or until the alarm stops

Quick Reply: HELP Alarm System Going Haywire